ad: elecraft

Retirement communities that permit antennas?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0ZOO, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

One can not get more direct than that.

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, judging from the number of golf carts zooming around, Sun City and Sun City West are retirement communities as well as cities. They don't pay school taxes because they don't have any schools. There are a few under 50 residents but they are usually the kids or grand kids, and you have to enroll them in a school in another town and provide transportation. And in some of the areas, residents under 50 are not allowed to live there for very long. Sun City and Sun City West are very much geared for retirees.

W0ZOO,

I moved to the "Valley of the Sun", as it is called, in 1974 and lived/worked there until I retired in 2011. I can't say I paid very close attention to the retirement communities, but I lived in Peoria, right next to Sun City and Sun City West. I worked out in Goodyear for 35 years and had to drive through Sun City for many years, until they got the freeways together (loop 101 and I-10).

Those communities are big and have their own infrastructure of stores and amenities. If you are a golfer, there is a lot courses to choose from. Most of the housing is very low maintenance. Seldom do you actually see a lawn with grass. Many houses come with pools, but also sport community pools. IMHO, avoid a house with a pool. Pools are just a maintenance item and do not add any value to a home.

It is a great area to retire to as long as you can get use to the heat. The summer is very very hot and seems to last forever. However, fall, winter, and spring are great. I think last Wednesday they had a record temperature of over 80 degrees. I was down in the valley this past weekend for a ham fest and the weather was strictly shorts and t-shirt. Being from the north, I had on flannel lined jeans, a flannel shirt, a sweater, and jacket. I was way over dressed.

During the summer, temperatures are over 100 every day. The 100 degree days start in March and then peak in early July. This goes on until the middle of October. I clearly recall being there when it was 122 degrees. Mostly what you hear outside is air conditioners turning on and off. And, yes, it's a dry heat, but than so is my oven.

A lot of the seniors keep two homes. One in the valley, for the winter, and one further north, often in another state, for the summer. I have a friend that I help with home repairs, that lives in Sun City in the winter, but comes up here for the summer. Currently, I live about 150 miles north of the valley, since 2011. In this area, no one has a air conditioner. Being that it is high desert (~5,000 ft), it gets pretty hot some times, but it's easily handled. We get about 12-15 inches of snow a year. So if you really needed to get away from the heat, you can head north for a week or two.

My daughter lives in Tuscon. Tuscon mostly gets as hot as the Phoenix area. I have always found Tuscon to be a little behind Phoenix in infrastructure. When I first moved to the valley, there was only one freeway, I-17. It took a lot of time, but now there is a dozen, or more, freeways that move huge amounts of cars and trucks. We even have our own freeway "Stack". Tuscon, on the other hand, is still in the process of building their freeway systems. Every time they get a road done, they find out it's not big enough and start on another one. This means lots of road construction, to make your day that much special. Tuscon is very much a college town, U of A. And, there are some very nice communities. But I have never found that it caters to retirees like Sun City and Sun City West. IMHO, it's a nice place to visit...

After living in the valley for a long time, you get a little cynical about it but, in the end, the Valley of the Sun is a good place to retire too. Taxes are low and housing is reasonable. The population almost doubles in the winter, when all of the "Snow Birds" descend on the area. You can always tell by the increase in out-of-state license plates. But they give a big boost to the economy of the area and help keep the taxes low.

Good luck on your search. I am sure you will have no problem finding an area that is antenna friendly.

p.s. If your interested in Ice Hockey or Football, Sun City and Sun City West are close to the Arizona Coyotes Hockey Arena and the Arizona Cardinals stadium. And, of course, there are the Phoenix Suns (basketball) and Arizona Rattlers (baseball) if you want to go to downtown Phoenix. And you don't want to miss spring training in the valley. You can go to a major league baseball game during spring training time. There are at least 4 stadiums on the west side that support multiple major league baseball teams. It is known as the Cactus League. There is soccer there too. It not very big, but it is growing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  3. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

While I do live in a "development", there is no HOA or restrictions. However, I do find it hard to believe that folks cannot just find, "a house on a road" somewhere, that is not restricted. There certainly are plenty of them around here in Florida, and Ohio. You just have to drive around and look for them.

4. W7DKK

W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

While I'm not yet ready for a retirement community, I did ask one locally about antennas and RVs. Since they were an apartment type building they would not allow rooftop antennas. Regarding RVs, they said something along the lines of "People who live here shouldn't be driving at all."

Lucky to have my own home. . .

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny stuff.

Actually, there are apartment buildings that permit ham antennas to be installed atop them. However I don't know much about the PHX/TUC area specifically having never lived there. But in L.A. and also in NYC, I know several apartment buildings (BIG ones) with ham antennas on their roofs. Also in Toronto, but although I like that city a lot it's not exactly a "sunny" retirement place, at least not for me.

I had a rental apartment (condo, actually) in Boston where I was allowed to install whatever I wanted on the roof, and the roof was 60' above street level with a clear eye view of Boston Harbor (from the North End). That ain't a sunny retirement place either, but goes to show if you look around you can find places that allow antennas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.