Retirement communities that permit antennas?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0ZOO, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0ZOO

W0ZOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy,

With the possibility of relocating to a warmer area of the desert SW, I could use some wisdom and guidance on retirement communities that allow antennas to continue to pursue my hobby. I'm looking for a facility that could also provide parking for our RV when not on the road. I've received mixed messages from the Sun City area near PHX as to antennas. It sounds like that there are an abundance of antennas in Sun City, but not much mention about the neighbors across the street: Sun City West. I could also be interested in areas south of PHX, including the Tucson area, and further south to Green Valley and Sierra Vista. This must not be a topic that hasn't been previously discussed, but I am unable to locate those comments.

Any information from folks in the above mentioned areas would be really appreciated!

Chuck Mulcahy
    WØZOO

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak for those places you mentioned but I can tell you that in Lake Havasu City (AZ) there are no antenna restrictions. Don't know about a specific retirement location but there are lots of Ham antennas in town. I have a 2nd place out there and head out there as often as possible. Besides, it's much less hectic and crowded then the Phoenix area and only about 2 hours from Vegas. It's also the home of the London Bridge. Hot July, August and September but the rest of the year is very comfortable. Just passing it along.

3. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I know of at least one retirement community that has a ham club that's complete with a station.
    That could be a nice alternative, and is worth looking into. The one I know of is in Florida (Coconut Creek)
    though, so it wouldn't be useful for you.

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just find a community I like, Buy it, and make my own regulations.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. WB6MMV

WB6MMV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Chuck:

To answer your question about antenna's in Sun City West, the answer is yes they are allowed. There are certain sections that prohibit towers, but any good realtor should be able to show you the limitations.

I have a tower, and you can easily see many towers, high dipoles, verticals, and other external antennas here.

Ken WB6MMV

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the OP was referring to retirement communities (as in developments geared just for retirees) rather than cities/towns which happen to have a lot of retired people living there. I may be wrong. There are a lot of retirement cities/towns where antennas are permitted but I am not so sure that is true of developments which cater exclusively to retirees. I am not familiar with a lot of them like "Leisure World" etc. but those I am familiar with do not allow individual hams in individual units to have antennas. Some do allow ONE ham station/antenna (club station) in the recreation center but that is about it. Good luck on your search.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Leisure World prohibits any television or radio antenna or aerial. Not sure how they get away with that rule but its on their books.

8. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not know anyone in this group http://www.arizonaoutlaws.net/ but they may have direct knowledge wrt your question.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never even visited Sun City West, but have worked hams there and for sure they had outside antennas and I think towers.

Best thing is probably to just call them on the telephone and talk about it.

Or if you like the sunny southwest and don't mind leasing a private home, Los Angeles has no antenna or tower restrictions. There are folks in rented homes locally who have 70' towers and stacked beams. Nobody cares.

Places with CC&Rs and HOAs can have restrictions, though; but the city itself doesn't.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd ask the fellow* who posted this video clip on YouTube:

[video=youtube;aKOtYVfzWyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKOtYVfzWyk[/video]
    * Richard Haworth, W7MDQ is a realtor in the area. His QRZ bio states he specializes in locating antenna-friendly homes for hams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.