ad: HamHats-1

Retevis RT90 Mobile Dual Band DMR Mobile Radio Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by BH6PJL, Feb 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. PY2RN

PY2RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one RT-90 GPS version, the GPS works intermittent, even under clear sky. RETEVIS does not provide any support, they are limited to ask to look for the seller :(

2. KB9KQU

KB9KQU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, yes. & now you amply demonstrate your ignorance.

3. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

No offense meant at all - in fact the "smiley face" was what I used because there was no "tongue firmly planted in cheek" emoji!! Honestly, as a 13 wpm extra class, I'm probably one of the more watered down guys on this forum. I could never copy 20 well enough to pass the test legitimately.

4. KN4MPC

KN4MPC Ham Member QRZ Page

So since a few of you guys have these maybe someone can answer a question.
    I don't think I'd use it for in car use because the screen looks like one of those that would fade and not show well when very cold, not really a fan of the display actually but may be ok for a home use base station.
    So the questions are...
    Have the fixed the pops I've read about?

Also I read that you can't lock out the A or B band unless you do it in the software. Is that true?
    There are times when I'm listening to something on my HT on one band and people start ragchewing on the other band. I have a button mapped to turn off the band that isn't the main one at that time. Does this radio not allow it?
    I guess you can get around it by switching to the other band you don't want to hear to a dead channel.

Any word on any new mobile DMR radios coming out other than the AnyTone? I wouldn't mind an XPR5550 but the cost and having to have someone program it stinks but everyone I've heard speak on one sounds a little better. Not sure $500 better though :D

5. KC3EWY

KC3EWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well spoken…………….. I have no sympathy for those that want to use the radios for purposes that it isn't intended for. Seems that most have forgotten that DMR was a commercial thing before us hams decided to adopt is for our use.

KD9JMQ and N8VIL like this.
  6. KC2G

KC2G Ham Member QRZ Page

"Retevis RT90 Mobile Dual Band DMR Mobile Radio"

So it isn't just mobile, dual-band, and DMR, it's also mobile?

7. BH3BFE

BH3BFE Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading your message, I understand that it is also the quality of products that determines the price. TYT is also a mid-end product in China. Our fans also like big brands, but price is also a factor affecting hobbies.

8. N1WLD

N1WLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Rebranded TYT, yes! But I seriously doubt you've owned on, or you wouldn't brand it as "JUNK". I've sold several dozen in my area. Everyone is happy with them, the audio quality, both sent and recieved, is fantastic, and they cost about 1/3 of the equivilent snob brand dmr radios!! I've had ZERO returns and ZERO warranty issues!
    Admitedly, there were problems with the first 2 versions, but they have been corrected in version 3 and newer radios that were released over a year ago.

9. 2E0JTP

2E0JTP Ham Member QRZ Page

RT90 Talk Group Programming question:

I've programmed other makes/models of DMR and thought I had this stuff sussed out, but apparently not.

How do you set it so that you only hear the Talk Group you are listening on.

For example: I have the radio set to TG 235 (a UK wide TG), but I can hear transmissions on other Talk Groups that are using the same Time Slot.

Traditionally, I set a single Talk Group that can hear all conversations on one Time Slot, with all the other Talk Groups only being able to hear a conversation on that specific TG. Just to keep me sane.

Does this radio have a "promiscuous mode" I've not spotted?

10. 2E0JTP

2E0JTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Asking the question prompted the little grey cells to find the answer:

In the programming software, under the "General Setting" tab. There are two check boxes, labelled: Group Call Match & Private Call Match. Ticking these appears to solve the problem. Just ticking Group Call Match didn't appear to work, weirdly.

You can also switch these two on/off directly in the radio menu: Utilities: 1 Radio Settings: 12 P-CallMatch / 13 G-CallMatch.

Sanity restored. :)