ad: Radclub22-1

Retevis RT82 Dual Band DMR Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by BH6PJL, Jul 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and this is NOT IT.

This is an advertisement posted by a representative of the company. The picture is a composite shot which, on face value, uses the copyright material of others, and the reasonable assumption, given the contrary nature of the use of the product to the rig shown in the photo, is that photo use is not authorized.

Clearly several people picked up on the apparent bogus nature of the photo, and that led to the parody of this advert photo; such parodies are allowed under US copyright law.

The HT sounds like a very nice radio; it would be great if someone actually did a REAL review, and we also had some assurance that this HT does not infringe on extant Motorola patents. It does seem, a priori, that this devise has the same types of infringment issues(if sold in the USA) as the Hytera radios; that is MO.

Yours may differ.

Chip W1YW

AE9S likes this.
  2. AE9S

AE9S Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

W1YW likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a commercial radio feature that lets the administrators disable the radios remotely. The city-issued Motorola I have can be remotely disabled if it is lost or stolen, so anyone who finds it can't monitor or interfere with city communication.

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tinky-Winky, NØGAY, always carries a fashionable Go-Bag for EMCOMM / HF packin'.

The cranium-mounted Delta loop used to be for TV Ch-2 but now is re-tuned to 50.276 MHz.

S/he runs JT65 mode exclusively because waaay too many op's down band on CW/SSB are rude.

John :rolleyes: WØPV

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    AE9S likes this.
  5. G1YRV

G1YRV Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe this should have been the ad campaign.

upload_2017-7-7_23-13-26.png

AE9S, KF5FEI, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, there are known hack attacks for the Stun feature in this radio protocol, that any knowledgeable hacker can use to disable a DMR radio from a distance.

One of the attack methods mimmicks admin commands using a skeleton key.
    The other attack method uses recorded signals off the air, decodes them, and re-encodes with edits.
    In some cases, with the factory skeleton key, the remote programming can be accessed over the air without user knowledge, despite programming it to not accept remote programming.
    Once it is accessed, the Stun or other type of attack can be enabled.

When a DMR radio is attacked with the Stun hack, it becomes bricked.
    In the bricked state, it can't be used on analog or DMR.
    In some cases, the only way to restore it is to bring it to the bench, force an internal hardware reset, and load an admin authed program restore.

In my opinion, Stun is not a desirable feature for a ham radio, and certainly not something to boast about in advertising to a tech-savvy ham radio nerd market.

Give me the version that doesn't have Stun in its firmware.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    AE9S likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAHAH! ;-)

Brilliant!!

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Realize that Retevis offers an entire line of "Children's" FRS / PMR radios. The Teletubbies meme probably just gave them a great new marketing hook. I'm kinda partial to the RT36 Robot.

http://www.retevis.com/children-s-page

73 de John WØPV

G1YRV likes this.
  9. BH6PJL

BH6PJL Ham Member QRZ Page

haha, i just like the photo, so i use it. I think i should change it before i get Jerry permission. Thanks.

10. BH6PJL

yes, most functions are same, the appearance and antenna is not the same.

11. BH6PJL

Most of functions are same with 2017. now RT82 and MD2017 has two version firmware. one is 10000 contacts and with record function. another firmware is 100000 contacts withour record function.

12. BH6PJL

I did it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  13. AG5YI

AG5YI Ham Member QRZ Page

Were you able to program? If so, how? I have 2 and I am unable to program.

KG5UBQ
    Dan

14. AG5YI

AG5YI Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you been able to program these? I have the cable, but I know Chirp does not do RT82 yet. Are you aware of a way to do this?

KG5UBQ
    Dan

15. BH6PJL

Why you can't programed? The RT82 has two kind of firmware, the default firmware is with Record, it only can save 10000 contacts. If you need to save 100000 contacts, you need to upgrade the firmware, and the firmware without Record function.