Restoring Vintage Toggle Switches

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W9GB, Oct 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

When Repair & Restoring Antique Radios or Electronics,
    you do not always have the Luxury of Replacing with same or equivalent part.
    These restorations requires additional Craftsmanship, Patience, & Ingenuity.

Restoring Vintage Toggle Switches
    October 7, 2019
    by Switch & Lever

Many of these techniques can be used for repair of discontinued potentiometers / switches.
    ==

Acid Etching Brass Plaques
    January 9, 2018
    Perfect for that DIY Steampunk Project

KD0CAC and N0TZU like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised this guy doesn't have holes in his fingers.

How many of us have learned the hard way that you don't try to get stuck screws out while holding the object in your hand? Or drilling out a rivet holding that tiny switch in your hand?

I wonder if he wears safety glasses when working with the Dremel brass brush?

[edit: ahh, further on he says wear safety glasses. He should have made that point much earlier!]

3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Had to go to YouTube & click the like .
    I started working with Super Glue & baking soda a while back - impressive .

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not all of us have a full machine shop like that. Not that I wouldn't want one. :)

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

AMAZING show of patience, mechanical skills and diligence! Just amazing workmanship.

I'd expect to see this sort of thing on a vintage Ferrari restoration site - but not a radio site about restoring toggles

Thanks for posting,

Dave
    W7UUU

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave -

There are a subset of craftsman ... that have been advancing & preserving at many levels.
    Many appeared about 15 years ago with the Steampunk movement & Hollywood special effects.

Myth Busters hosted by Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage were very influential for GenX.
    Today they combine the Victorian era with the 21st century, such as seen in TV series: “The Wild Wild West”, “Warehouse 13” , and “Stargate Atlantis”.

Top 10 Steampunk Gadgets
    http://www.fantasy-magazine.com/non-fiction/articles/top-10-steampunk-gadgets/

This is Why I am Broke - Steampunk Keyboard
    https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/steampunk-keyboard/