ad: QSKLLC-1

Restoring a FT-101EX

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KE4CQ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4CQ

KE4CQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said Dave.
    It is easy to get off track especially when new things are discovered. I should remember to slow down and go back and read and re-read some of the good advice that is posted.
    I believe that the short I made actually did not effect the resistor I had to replace. I think it was broken when I received the radio and turned it on the first time. The reason is because when I first turned on the radio the audio seemed to move around easily and was not stable. I figured it was certainly a voltage problem and would get fixed as I checked and replaced bad parts. That resistor is located at the very top of that board and would be prone to damage by someones finger if you were not careful when removing that board. When I busted the 12v supply and then removed that board I bet my finger moved that broken resistor to the point that it was not going to make contact to ground at all.

So, the short only damaged the 12v and probably had no effect on the 6v.

Pin 13 measured 516K on the EX (faulty) board and 6.3K on my E board. Obviously a part was causing excessive resistance on my circuit. The 2nd resistor I checked turned out to be the bad one. Wow, how easy it was to find the problem by doing this. I understand now how important these resistance checks are and why they are published in manuals.

A good lesson learned...........

Kevin
    KE4CQ

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I must admit, I was surprised when the fault seemed to be a faulty 6V regulator IC, even though you had that accidental short-circuit . . . as that chip is supposed to be short-circuit proof.

I guess I had presumed you would have checked the ordinary components (resistors & capacitors) around the regulator with an ohmeter FIRST, to check there were no short or open-circuits.

Generally speaking, ALL the components throughout these rigs are VERY reliable . . . in my experience, it's usually only when somebody does something silly that a component actually fails !

Anyway . . . glad you got it sorted.

Roger G3YRO

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

... a bunch of different suggestions come back at you in rapid fire! :eek::p

KE4CQ likes this.
  4. KE4CQ

This EX was looking pretty rough. In addition to fixing my 6v problem I managed to get a fresh paint job on it. I also cleaned the front face and all the knobs. I used Testors white paint with a micro brush to repaint the white stripes on the knobs.

IMG_20190420_204247small.JPG IMG_20190420_204258small.JPG IMG_20190420_204331small.JPG IMG_20190420_204359small.JPG IMG_20190420_204420small.JPG IMG_20190420_204443small.JPG

N6UH likes this.
  5. G3YRO

Nice job !

I've never had to "restore" my FT101, as I've had it from new . . . but I do use an old toothbrush to clean the dust out of the ridges in the knobs every so often.

I've also re-sprayed the winder on the main VFO knob black a few times.

Roger G3YRO

KE4CQ likes this.
  6. KE4CQ

Thanks Roger. Since getting my first 101E last fall I have become very fond of these radios. I am sure when I finish with this EX model I will be on the hunt for another one to work on.

7. HAMHOCK75

HAMHOCK75 QRZ Member

The color is a pretty good match. Is it a custom mix or is it a standard color?

8. KE4CQ

Rustoleum "winter gray" is main color.
    The trim accent is a Krylon gray color. I can't remember the color but I will post it when I can retrieve the can...
    The winter gray color has been used by several owners. That is how I found out about it. Although you might not see it in the photos, the color has a very slight light blue hue to it. I have never seen a brand new FT-101 so I don't know how mine would compare. I am very happy with it.

9. G3YRO

Bear in mind that Yaesu used several different grey colours for the main case . . .

Some are quite a plain grey . . . some are slightly blue . . . some are slightly green.

My SP101 is a slightly different colour to my FT101E . . . but my YC601 is a perfect match.

My FT101F is a slightly different colour again.

Roger G3YRO

10. HAMHOCK75

HAMHOCK75 QRZ Member

Thank you both for that information. In my restorations I have also never repainted by sometimes I have used primary colors to create matching paint for screws and other small hardware. The paint job looks very nice!