Restoration of the R-390A

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by SV2SBE, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W3TA

W3TA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job. I've done three 390A's. Great radios. They can be frustrating at times but I do find them fun to get up and running again.

I'm working on a 389 now which is proving to be a bit more difficult the the 390A's!

Good luck

Tom
    W3TA

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i worked on them at stewart warner in 60's, would have died for one then.
    now its too heavy to move. by the level of teardown you did im betting it will never work again! unless you are a trained 390 tech. btw i wouldnt worry about caps in that rig, they are top quality, no leaky paper,,,

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My gosh I never realized the 390 had so many moving parts! It's a clockmaker's delight.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. SV2SBE

SV2SBE Ham Member QRZ Page

lets bet!!!! hihihi
    there is a lot of caps broken inside. So i will replace all of them. I mean the bumblebee caps. Will see in the next photos.

5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing project. You dismanteled all the gears, cams, etc. How in the world do you get them all back in sync so everything tracks?

I used these receivers as a Radio Op in the USAF (1955) along with the SP-600.

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

not in a plane i assume!!

7. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

My USAF job (1952-56) was as "Intercept Radio Operator". In plain English, that means "listening in and typing" certain CW transmissions from certain sources (!). I got pretty good at it, and able to get solid copy from the worst "fists" you could imagine. For scanning up and down the dial and looking for stuff, the SP600 was very nice.

(this was indoors, in Alaska, in a nicely heated building)

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. SV2SBE

SV2SBE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not difficult to disassemble the RF unit and put it back together. Its not for the first timer of course, but need to make a lot of marks and study - study - study the manuals before touch anything. ou can find anything you want for this radio on the net. And you have to own some good tools, will post later pictures.

WA6SW and W7UUU like this.
  9. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is (FYI) NOT a "mini BNC", it is what is known as an "MB" connector.
    If one goes and buys mini BNCs, one will get a connector of similar size and shape
    but that does not fit or work...

(ask me how I know...) :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

As complicated as they look, they were well designed and not hard to work on. Your gears needed disassembly, unlike most which can be cleaned and greased in place. Mine is a Stewart Warner and took some time to straighten out all the problems and replace caps. The bandswitch had been misaligned, which first took time to diagnose and then I needed to make a special tool to get it right.

Norm

W7ANM likes this.