ad: TinyPaddle-1

Researchers capture an image of negative capacitance in action

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KR4EE, Jan 21, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Google "LT-minus-1000", the reversed power converter.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, of course the subject is meant seriously.

The satire is of the pop-sci click-bait quality of the article title in the OP.

Compare it to the much more professional scientific dialog seen in this link to a Research Gate thread where the question is asked "What is negative capacitance?".

Note in particular the banter between Vasili Ivanovich Dimitrov and Petr Viscor, and Maxim Ershov. Comments from each respectively, like,

"Both by definition (The capacitance, C is the ability of a body to store an electric charge) and formalization (The capacitance, C, is defined as the ratio of the magnitude of the charge on either conductor to the potential difference between the conductors) capacitance conceptually can’t be negative conception. So, actually this (negative capacitance) is nothing but slang that is used by non-educated authors." - V. Dimitrov :rolleyes:

From there the discussion gets more lively and deepens into illustrating different thoughts regarding static vs dynamic electronic situations, etc etc etc., but IMO boils down to the misapplication of oversimplified jargon (negative capacitance) to a complex phenomena(s) that could be seen in several different possible scenarios.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    AC0OB likes this.
  3. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another theory is that this is a result of, "the lower spatial symmetry corresponding to lower monophasic capacitance." :D

Pheel

K9CTB likes this.
  4. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

But the 23rd Street Spindizzy tended to have problems. Mayor John Amalfi never could get it fixed right.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    K7DIP likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Negative capacitance - equivalent to negative temperature, ie, minus degrees Kelvin, which those in the Upper Midwest are close to experiencing this week. :eek:

Which in turn imparts negative viscosity to outdoor liquids, ie "fried ice" :rolleyes: ... "To cover the issue, I believe that it’s proper time and place to remember grand René Descartes (Renatus Cartesius). I cite “…Define the sense of the words, and you will clean up the World from the half of the possible delusions …” - V. Dimitrov

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    AC0OB likes this.
  6. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not griping or anything, but shouldn't you guys have saved this for April 1?

7. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, save real news that sounds bogus for April 1. That way when people _don't_ believe it the joke will be on them.

My nephew was born on April 1. Everyone thought it was a joke until the pictures went around, and still a few didn't believe it.

-Jon

K9CTB likes this.
  8. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I know it's real Jon .... but the way the article is written - and their definition of "negative capacitance" is vague to the degree usually reserved for April Fools' day ... no harm intended. Now, school me on the implications "negative capacitance" has on the real world .... and let me know how many PhDs have been awarded based on this research. Expiring minds wanna know.

9. KE6K

KE6K Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W0WUG

W0WUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya' know, I was just thinking about this while shaving this morning. :confused:

11. K1SCE

K1SCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Will VE's add this to the general or extra exam.

12. ZS6BV

ZS6BV Ham Member QRZ Page

As with negative resistance and negative inductance it is normally a behaviour which is recorded and not the operation of an actual negative device.

13. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't believe that the oscillation overthruster has been entirely absent from mention in this thread. Without it planet 10, Lectroids and the 8th dimension would still be lost to science.