REQ: Options for replacing DC output connections on Astron PSU

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KK6QMS, Jan 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a small Astron 10A PSU. I want to replace the DC output connections but do not use power poles and am not interested. Maybe just simple screw down terminals with wingnuts? Suggestions appreciated.
    Clifford - KK6QMS

Attached Files:

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO it would be a poor thing to mess with the terminals on the P/S.

Just make a short lead to a box/strip with whatever terminal system you wish to use.

NE1U likes this.
  3. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thx for the suggestions. I see some potential options. 73

5. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

OLD, RELIABLE, CHEAP, EVERYWHERE!!

[​IMG]

W9WQA and KK6QMS like this.
  6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you like versatile binding posts, the ones KE0ZU had a photo of are often called "5-way binding posts". You can order them individually ( one electrical contact with easy connections for a small wire, spade lug, or bananna plug )- or better, as pairs ( red and black is typical for ground and V+ ). The spacing of the sockets for a standard 'bananna plug adapter' is why they are best ordered in pairs. I have also had the experience of asking someone to pick up a set for me, only to have them return with the wrong part. If I were to 'order them again', I might make a special notation that the part must accept two bananna plugs of the 'regular size'. Motorola used to make a plug with an outside diameter over 1/4" in diameter, also called a 'bananna plug', yet about twice the 'regular size'. Some of the newer posts will also accept the newer 'category 3' rated multimeter test leads, which means that there is no need to cut the extra insulation away from the conductor of the plugs. I would also have the same opinion as KA0HCP- build an adapter cable box rather than modify the supply you have. The 'seating area' underneath the terminals is different, yet should be a good fit to prevent a 'wobbly' physical connection and/or short circuit. You could use this adapter later on a larger supply, if needed.
    While you are ordering parts, I would suggest that you add: Terminals for the wires that you will attach- bananna plugs, spade lugs, etc. for 12 AWG or 14 AWG wire, the same size wire, and a reasonable-sized thick plastic box. If the box is smaller than 3" by 3" by 5" long, tightening nuts inside could get difficult without hollow ( deep socket ) tools.

7. KB0MNM

You might check:
    https://www.mouser.com/Test-Measure...7wzqn?Keyword=Binding+posts&FS=True&P=1y9hs92 for that business of the category 3 or 4 lead connections, which are not the same as the KE0ZU illustration. If you intend to use meter leads to connect your 10 amp power supply, be aware that the tips sometimes are not rated for that much current, depending on the maker. Bananna plugs also vary, some have a better mechanical connection than others to the wire- I prefer the type where the wire is pulled through an insulating sleeve and into a separate barrel-shaped connector. When soldered, this is threaded into the 'backside' of the actual bananna connector, and the sleeve threads over the combination of two parts. These will typically work best with 14 AWG wire, certainly not big enough for 10 AWG.

8. KB0MNM

Then there is:
    Philmore Quad Binding Post Wall Plate

Frys #: 1926912

Brand: Philmore

UPC : 038975751320

Model: 75-1032
    ( This would be easy to pre-wire, and pull into a duplex electrical box- plastic recommended ).

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The output terminals on my Astron RS-20 are 1/4"-20 male thread screws, using insulating shoulder & flat washers. I used the same on my homebrew 30A PS:
    [​IMG]
    Insulating washers are available in plastic, ceramic, and fibrous materials from itty-bitty up to yuuge sizes. Well-stocked local hardware sources sometimes have 'em for cheep. Keystone (http://www.keyelco.com/) is a major player in this type of part. Digi-Key and others sell Keystone for pennies/each. :)

10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

those are ultimately the very best. while i like banana plugs you must be sure they are actually
    tight,many are not...