ad: elecraft

Repurpose AM/FM Antenna location?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W9TSS, Nov 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9TSS

W9TSS Ham Member QRZ Page

All,

I have a 2017 RAM 3500, and I am not opposed to going with an NMO on the roof, as I had one on my previous F-250, but for multiple reasons, I was considering the removal of my OEM AM/FM antenna and replacing it with a stick for 2m/70cm.

I also know that Comet makes a fender adapter (for the driver's side) and that would be ok, I guess. But, I would really rather just replace the OEM antenna to achieve the cleanest and most stealth look possible, provided I can find a way to reliably repurpose that location. Hopefully this will help explain what I am trying to achieve:

I found a factory replacement mount here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TZ1EDN0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I would theoretically remove the AM/FM mast and assembly completely. I would replace it with another identical mount, without the AM/FM mast.

Physically, I don't think this will accept an NMO mount/antenna, but I don't have it in hand yet. Also, I think trying to go that route could introduce some absence of ground plane issues, etc.

If not NMO, what other options could I try? Perhaps some sort of SMA connection? Would that work? www.sti-co.com makes some pretty slick whip antennas that allegedly have good SNR and perform well.

Thanks, just thinking out-loud and curious to know if anyone else has attempted something similar?

-Rob
    W9TSS

2. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Subaru Outback 2017 that had a shark fin antenna for XM radio and a cellular antenna in it. Pulled the headliner, unbolted it and slipped a NMO right into the small rectangular hole. No drilling. I felt really good about it.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a can do. U/V should be a piece of cake.

In the day the AM radio antenna was used for a CB. In dash 10 or 11 meters is cool.

Just build a matching network, And mount it at the base of the antenna.

Have Fun.

4. W0FM

W0FM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rob,

Check out

www.sti-co.com .

They have a full line of Land Mobile Radio antennas that are exact replacements for your factory radio antenna. Very stealthy. Not cheap, but I have used several on my vehicles over the years. Many come with an AM/FM splitter so you don't lose any functionality. Some are tunable across the VHF or UHF bands so you can hit your sweet spot.

Have fun!

Terry, WØFM