ad: elecraft

Report on results from survey of amateur radio operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8XJ, Nov 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. WA4YUR

WA4YUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think ham radio started going down the drain when they did away with CW. Since that time there has been an influx of CB operators and EX CB operators that have brought their BAD HABBITS and BAD operating and BAD language from CB to ham radio. Most of which are in their mid 40to mid 50 age. We don't need or want these trouble making people in ham radio . I think I can speak for most of the older ham radio community since I have been a licensed ham for 50 years now and my wife has been also almost that long. It's time the FCC did their job and cleaned up the ham bands and get rid of the trouble makers for good!!

K2NED likes this.
  2. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

He's the baddest mother f.....shut your mouth.....but I'm talking about Shaft. John Shaft.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on.

4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't disagree more. From Glen Baxter to William Crowell , we are talking about real, old school, 13 and 20WPM advanced and extra licenses. I use Glen (SK) and Billy as examples not for any personal agenda but because of their high profile. Think what you will of them, I don't.

My first encounter with the dark side of amateur radio was the resentful greeting I received from the local representatives of the Church of St Hiram. I was belittled, my intelligence insulted, ignored, talked over, and finally told that my mail in "CB extra" license might as well have been a prize in a Cracker Jack box. I would have accepted it as a right of passage or normal hazing if it hadn't continued. All it took to put a stop to it was to ignore the insults, continue to operate, and make a point of showing up at local clubs and introducing myself the wayward apostles. The face to face meetings were all it took. I still get some flack for being an extra in a day but I know it was 45 years of experience that led here.

You have a lot of damn gall accusing "new" operators of being the problem. Not all new operators are former or come from Citizens Band. I'm not a former CB operator I'm a current CB operator. I don't see where amateur radio and CB radio have to be mutually exclusive. I don't see where poor operating practices have to be exclusive to CB or amateur operators. If you are going to lay blanket claims against a group of people be prepared to give specific examples.

Bad operating practices far predate 2001 when the 13 and 20 WPM were dropped in favor of medical waivers and 2007 when the code requirement was dropped completely. If you honestly feel that the root cause of bad operating practices on the amateur bands are due to the influx of new amateurs, former or current CB operators and or upgrades then you are welcome to your particular delusion and I wish you well with it .

KC1EKB likes this.