ad: MLSons-1

Report on results from survey of amateur radio operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8XJ, Nov 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be interesting to survey the spending habits of amateur radio operators.

2. K2NED

K2NED Ham Member QRZ Page

I get a real kick out of my radio clubs enthusiasm to constantly attempt to engage young people into the hobby of amateur radio. Young people are to 'face into their 'I' whatever's' and social media to care about what they perceive as ancient technology. even with the digital modes available
    lets see here: ' I ' phone = 700 dollars, no antenna, amp, tuner, iambic keyer or coax needed and you can communicate with anyone you care to in voice and digital text. even random dial if you want to talk to a total stranger. Compare that to an amateur operators investment into radio gear and ancillary necessities just to initiate random conversations with total strangers !! ??
    all the above comments are very on point for sure and, certainly the generational and cultural change / gap in our world is an influencer in the amateur operator - ham radio world.

3. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What an interesting paper! I read every bit of it. Well done.

4. N8XJ

N8XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! 73, Joel

5. KM4HGU

KM4HGU Ham Member QRZ Page

That was a most interesting read. Thanx for sharing.
    My personal opinion of the high point on the New license graph presented, being age 50-59, has to do with folks of that age, have their lives established, are pretty much out of debt, and have a bit more time on their hands to fill with a hobby of some sort.
    I don't think that will change much. The sharp decline after age 59, (age 60+) I would attribute to those in that age group are already Hams, or are not interested.
    I know Hams who were first licensed prior to WWII, but went "dormant" in the '50s-'80s due to work, and family, eating up time and money. But, after the kids grew up, and the number of bills coming in decreased significantly, got back into it. Which would account for some of the age 60+ folks.

The demographic for newly licensed pilots runs along the same lines. With the peak being in the 50-59 age group.

6. WA4YUR

WA4YUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think ham radio started going down the drain when they did away with CW. Since that time there has been an influx of CB operators and EX CB operators that have brought their BAD HABBITS and BAD operating and BAD language from CB to ham radio. Most of which are in their mid 40to mid 50 age. We don't need or want these trouble making people in ham radio . I think I can speak for most of the older ham radio community since I have been a licensed ham for 50 years now and my wife has been also almost that long. It's time the FCC did their job and cleaned up the ham bands and get rid of the trouble makers for good!!

K2NED likes this.
  7. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

He's the baddest mother f.....shut your mouth.....but I'm talking about Shaft. John Shaft.

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on.

9. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't disagree more. From Glen Baxter to William Crowell , we are talking about real, old school, 13 and 20WPM advanced and extra licenses. I use Glen (SK) and Billy as examples not for any personal agenda but because of their high profile. Think what you will of them, I don't.

My first encounter with the dark side of amateur radio was the resentful greeting I received from the local representatives of the Church of St Hiram. I was belittled, my intelligence insulted, ignored, talked over, and finally told that my mail in "CB extra" license might as well have been a prize in a Cracker Jack box. I would have accepted it as a right of passage or normal hazing if it hadn't continued. All it took to put a stop to it was to ignore the insults, continue to operate, and make a point of showing up at local clubs and introducing myself the wayward apostles. The face to face meetings were all it took. I still get some flack for being an extra in a day but I know it was 45 years of experience that led here.

You have a lot of damn gall accusing "new" operators of being the problem. Not all new operators are former or come from Citizens Band. I'm not a former CB operator I'm a current CB operator. I don't see where amateur radio and CB radio have to be mutually exclusive. I don't see where poor operating practices have to be exclusive to CB or amateur operators. If you are going to lay blanket claims against a group of people be prepared to give specific examples.

Bad operating practices far predate 2001 when the 13 and 20 WPM were dropped in favor of medical waivers and 2007 when the code requirement was dropped completely. If you honestly feel that the root cause of bad operating practices on the amateur bands are due to the influx of new amateurs, former or current CB operators and or upgrades then you are welcome to your particular delusion and I wish you well with it .

KC1EKB likes this.