ad: elecraft

Replacement Laptop battery issue; tab voltages don't corespond to original pack

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N2NJO, May 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2NJO

N2NJO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a somewhat unusual question since there are two parts.
    I have a OMBAR replacement 6 cell pack for a Toshiba. It has 9 pins (tabs). The Laptop O/S doesn't recognize the pack but, the battery LED blinks orange, it won't charge.

I took voltage readings off this pack as follows (from left to right w/ the pack facing up);
    1&2 common (negative)
    3&4 no voltage (control/monitor pins I assume)
    5,6,7,8 & 9 around 11vdc (but pins 6&7 were 1 volt less than the other three)

Now, with the original Toshiba pack charged to 50%;
    The ONLY pins that I had any reading from were 3&4 and that was around 3v.

Ok, would someone like to take a stab at this one?? :confused: I can only assume the CB is wired wrong or it's the wrong board for this series of Laptops. I have been in contact with OMBAR and they are going to send me a replacement, but I have my doubts.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They may play tricks with a resistor value. I know their chargers do.

3. N2NJO

Resistor value where?

4. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

All you told us....'I have a OMBAR replacement 6 cell pack for a Toshiba.'

It would help if we had the 'original' battery pack number of both units and the model of the Laptop.

If I am thinking right you just can not go and get a battery replacement and hope that it will work.... the capacity, the charging rate and more importantly the charging circuit and battery monitor that is usually installed in laptop battery packs or wrong data will be sent to the laptop and give false readings, thus the charging rate *may* never be achieved which will lead to two scenarios.... over or under charging which will shorten the battery life, another consideration is the charging temperature of the cells.

Dave

5. N2NJO

Toshiba L775D-S7226
    PA3818U-1BRS (6-cell)
    Replacement;
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V9XEKG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my 3rd laptop, I never had a issue with battery replacement with the other two and after conversation with others, neither have they including the one I bought this from. As to your comment, there is a break-in procedure, but that couldn't even be conducted.

Frankly, two issues;
    1. This 3v that is present with the original, but not with the replacement I believe could be a/the issue. It seems a similar situation to the "power good' signal that computer PS & MB's have to enable the PS to 'operate' (protection reason),
    2. There is a M$ 'bug' in their crappy battery drivers (3 entries in Device Manager Win7) they don't feel is a problem that I will try to rectify.

6. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't say with Toshiba, with charging or erroneous display reporting with Acers, one trick is to charge the battery then let it run down and completely drain with all power savings set to off, I can't say it will work with Toshiba.... one Acer laptop I had to change the battery pack indicating it was a battery issue.

Win 7 battery monitor does leaves a lot to be desired.... is there a facility in 'power plan setting' to calibrate the battery meter like there is in Dell's, here's what I mean?

Dave

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you have the WRONG "replacement" battery, pure and simple. A replacement should have the same pin configuration as the original OEM battery.

8. N2NJO

Problem is, I can't get it to charge.
    BTW; That link you provided is dead.

AFA being the "wrong" battery, not according to OMBAR, but I should know when I get a replacement.

9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just as a suggestion: Take a look at some of the one-star reviews for that battery on Amazon--some laptop users are reporting problems as well, including their machines being fried by the battery. A cursory search on the 'net showed problems as well.

Part of my job--as Technologist at a college--is repairing equipment including computers, tablets, etc. I've learned long ago that for expensive devices it's better to spend the extra bucks for OEM batteries; it's hard to explain to a supervisor why saving a few bucks buying a non-OEM battery resulted in the trashing of an expensive computer.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    G4COE likes this.
  10. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

“12 months warranty”

“30 days refund policy”

Problem solved .......

KF5FEI likes this.