Replace car radio with Yaesu mobile?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KM6LYW, Jul 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6LYW

KM6LYW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was surprised to see most people mount transceivers under seats and under dashboards, then mount control/face plates in creative positions around the dash. I just picked up a Yaesu FTM100 and just assumed it would mount in the dash board like any other after-market commercial radio, as all/most cars use ISO standard widths and mounting hardware. Yaesu bodies are considerably smaller and non-standard in this regard, and therefore will not fit in the standard slot in most automobiles.

So, having said that, is there a way to mount an FTM100 in a "Single DIN" slot in a dash board? Any links to adapters which adapt the ISO-Single-Din dash to the (proprietary?) Yaesu base dimensions/holes/threads?

Facts and bonus points:
    • 1995 Toyota Tacoma, has two single din slots, the top slot has am/fm/cd radio, bottom slot is waiting for the FTM-100.
    • Extra credit if I can remove it in less than a minute.
    • High-want to have the face plate attached and usable with the body.
    • Integrated Mic hanger would be a plus.
    • Control head should be solid, as I need to press buttons often (aprs on/off)
    • I have an FTM-400 as well, assuming it's the same as the FTM-100 from a mounting perspective

curiously,
    -craig

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done it before. You just need to rip the dashboard apart and remove the empty slot. Mount it like you would any other car radio, using the holes on the radio that would normally be used for the mounting bracket....you'll need to get some long screws of course. Center the radio and bring it forward to the front of the slot.

You'll have to make your own face plate, but that is cosmetic and would just cover up the gap between the sides of the radio and the sides of the slot. Mount the rig in the slot, screw the face plate to the front of the slot, put the slot back in the dashboard, and put the cover back on the dash board. It's no different than any other car radio, except they do not make an off-the-shelf kit. You'll have to DIY.

KM6LYW likes this.
  3. KM6LYW

Okay, so a yaesu-to-single-DIN adapter/bracket simply does not exist, that was really my question.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember the FTM-100 is a 50W (output power) radio and its heatsink gets HOT. If it's snapped together as a "one piece" rig, it needs free air flow around it to prevent overheating.

Most installs would separate the control panel (head) from the main transceiver body, install the transceiver body someplace with good ventilation to prevent overheating, and mount the control panel anywhere that's convenient.

W1TRY, AG6QR and KM6LYW like this.
  5. KM6LYW

good point, so cpu fan on accessory, or mount elsewhere. At this point I'm starting to wonder if there's a "blank" insert for a single-DIN that I could velcro the control/face plat upon. It'd still look like an in-dash install, sturdy for hard button presses, and wins the extra-credit for removable.

Anyone seen a "blank" single-din insert to which a control/faceplate could be attached?

thanks again for the hints guys!
    -craig

6. KM6LYW

7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be honest....I used a thick file folder that I cut to size and painted flat black. I cut a hole the correct size needed for the radio to fit through, punched some holes on the sides and screwed it in to the front of the slot. I never even knew something like that existed.

KM6LYW likes this.
  8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Double DIN mounting slot in my car . . . took out the original stock Radio and fitted a new one . . . just bolted my 2m rig on a bracket underneath and cut a hole in a plastic DIN blanking plate (available from any car radio shop).

[​IMG]

Oh and the small toggle switch to the right of the 2m rig switches the 2m antenna between the rig and the car radio, as well as switching the Driver's Door Loudspeaker to the 2m rig.

Roger G3YRO

W1TRY and KM6LYW like this.
  9. KM6LYW

fantastic! blanking plate, audio shop, confirmed! thanks!

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page