repeaters, gap between frequencies?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K6XRA, May 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: " there is only like 7.5 kHz left between them."

Think about this for a second or two - HOW WASTEFUL would it be to include an UNUSED FEW kHZ between each channel assignment? Spectrum-wise, spectrum is a limited quantity or resource, and NOT to be simply abandoned!

We have had adjacent channel frequency allocations in the land mobile, the cellular (going back to AMPS days) and even in FM Broadcast - what matters is, PROPER frequency and distance planning as is done in FM Broadcast - like, NO adjacent channel allocations in the same market!! It's okay to be the next 'market' (75 to 100 miles) away.

Something similar was done in analog cellular, no adjacent channels cell to cell WITH the exception if the two channels that were adjacent were in the SAME cell site which meant BOTH signals would be at the same level, if present, and that worked well given the FM "capture" effect. We stuffed "adjacent channels" in the Wichita Falls MSA in the downtown WF site in the mid 1990s for instance on account we needed ALL the channels we could muster to handle traffic demands given a free nights and weekend promo marketing had instituted.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^THIS!

As ND5Y posted, standard channel spacing in southern California is 20 kHz.

See:
    Southern California Repeater and Remote Base Association 440-450 MHz Band Plan
    http://scrrba.org/BandPlans/440-450.pdf

SCRRBA no longer has "repeater authority" on 70 cm. That was "taken over" by TASMA several years ago.:(:eek:

;)
    [/QUOTE]

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see a 70cm band plan on the TASMA web site ... only 2-meters.

4. K6XRA

K6XRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the comments guys! Lots of good educational info here.
    (I'll note again, I was mistaken and I was't really getting any interference from the neighboring channel, even though it is close. I'm not positive what the problem was, but it really doesn't seem to be the neighboring channel.)

5. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Every repeater in my region is 25khz spacing to eliminate interference from adjacent repeaters.
    And with analog systems it's no problem.
    Digital repeaters are very trashy since they are transmitting at 5khz deviation continuously so even at 25khz they cause problems.
    And with the Baofengs and the rest made today, their front ends are not good enough to handle it.
    If you use a Motorola mobile or HT you won't be bothered by interference.

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Most digital modes used on VHF/UHF are 4 level FSK and way less than 5 kHz deviation.
    Yaesu C4FM has the highest deviation at 900 & 2700 Hz. DMR, P25 and NXDN are less than that.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^THIS!

As ND5Y posted, standard channel spacing in southern California is 20 kHz.

See:
    Southern California Repeater and Remote Base Association 440-450 MHz Band Plan
    http://scrrba.org/BandPlans/440-450.pdf

;)
    [/QUOTE]

TASMA has usurped coordination on 70 cm from SCRRBA, and is now assuming authority over operations on both 2 Meters, AND 70 cm in So. California. The traditional 146.520 MHz SIMPLEX frequency is no longer in THEIR band plan, and under threat of causing "harmful interference," our club had to change to 146.515 MHz simplex.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

California is no place special on repeater splits. They do not cause cancer.

It is all the same in the U.S.A.

Do not hold your HT to close to your head for very long. You could get California Syndrome.

KD2QQF likes this.
  9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

[/QUOTE]

TASMA has usurped coordination on 70 cm from SCRRBA, and is now assuming authority over operations on both 2 Meters, AND 70 cm in So. California. The traditional 146.520 MHz SIMPLEX frequency is no longer in THEIR band plan, and under threat of causing "harmful interference," our club had to change to 146.515 MHz simplex.[/QUOTE]

No, no matter what they claim repeater coordination councils have no say about simplex frequencies. If they put an input on .52, that's their problem not yours.

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad it's not just me

[​IMG]