Repeater Use and Restrictions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI7LFD, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Need a recipe for Kung Pao “Chicken”?

2. AG4RT

There was someone that posted here several years ago bragging that he had banned Baofeng users from using his repeater.

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

This would impossible to police. The real problem with the cheap Baofengs is inconsistency. I have used one that worked quite well, and another that was an absolute piece of junk. It is possible to have a Baofeng that someone could not distinguish from a D72 on the other end.

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

If I remember correctly, he was, at the same time, the Youth Coordinator for the Nevada ARRL Section. I found his attitude about Baofengs a bit hypocritical, given his position.

5. AG4RT

I don’t recall all the details, but I didn’t much care for his attitude either. But, his repeater, his rules.

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the repeater echolink or IRLP enabled? Sounds like a place where you might actually get some rather interesting QSO's on a repeater.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No. As I understand it, They have been banned because of bad language.

But they are still on broadcastify.

The owner of the repeater seems to be fine with how the repeater users act.

Strange things happen in California. Just another "Normal" day there.

VK4HAT likes this.
  8. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That was me! It wasn't impossible to ban the Baofeng. It was quite easy, actually. My repeaters require an MDC tone to access them. You also need the right tones (which change regularly). Couple that with a non-traditional offset, and the Baofeng is not on the repeater. It works great!

73 de N4NJJ of the N4NJJ Baofeng Free Repeater Network

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Your repeater, your business.

But to me, it seems a significant use of time and energy for little to no benefit.

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the idea of setting up a second receiver at the third harmonic of the input frequency, with the same PL tone required to break squelch. If a squelch is broken on that second receiver, disable the repeater's transmitter.

That's not brand-specific, but would discourage the use of radios with poor harmonic suppression. And if you've ever seen a Baofeng on a spectrum analyzer...

KP4SX and N4NJJ like this.