Repeater Use and Restrictions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI7LFD, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LYA:

Unfortunately, from various comments, etc., it seems that the majority of newcomers, to amateur radio these days, are using, well, trying to use, the various Chinese portable units. The primary reason is cost followed by being readily available.

The few "preppers" that I know tend to live in more rural areas where the limitations of handheld units (i.e. broad as a barn receivers) are minimized (the Chinese handheld units are not unique in this area). Also, from what I understand, things like advertisements tend to "push" the Chinese units.

A while back, in one of the rural areas outside of Dallas, Texas, a goodly number of the local volunteer fire department, including the chief, were "preppers". One of the companies, that I owned, was handling the two-way radio communications for all of the fire departments, as well as police departments, public works, sheriff's department, and Department of Public Safety ("highway patrol") in the county. Because this group of "preppers" were familiar with professional radio communications, they wished to establish a reliable communications system for their group. The final solution was that a 180-foot tower was constructed on a hilltop and a GMRS repeater installed. A backup generator, as well as battery backups, were included. Certificated mobiles were purchased by members of the group as well as a control station located at most of the members' houses. "Talk around", the ability of mobiles, portables, and control stations, to transmit on the repeater output frequency was included to allow communications if the repeater were to go down or if outside the normal coverage of the repeater.

The system was established before the proliferation of Chinese handheld units. However, a number of the group did purchase certificated handheld radios.

This system was definitely not "cheap"! However, this "prepper" group was pretty "well off" financially. Also, when the cost of the repeater installation was divided among the entire group, the amount that any individual had to pay was fairly low. I have lost track of the system and I have no idea as to how the Chinese handheld units play a role in the operation of this system. In fact, I really don't know if it is still in use! But, such a GMRS system is really the easiest way to go to avoid problems with amateur radio operations.

Glen, K9STH

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the preppers all went for the Yaesu 2900 units -- as they were higher power and had better range, according to the general CB mentality that many seem to have. :p

WQ4G likes this.
  3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

If one was to search the FCC Amateur Radio Service Enforcements located here:

https://www.fcc.gov/enforcement/orders/1823?page=2

One will find that the FCC HAS performed some enforcement on 7200 and/or 14313 as can be seen here:

https://www.fcc.gov/document/david-j-tolassi-0

There are also several Warning Letters to people who are being banned from Repeaters....

Dan WQ4G

KX4O likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If I need to prep I use .357 or .45 and .223 if needed.

.30 can be useful also.

AD5HR likes this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

The 146.94 repeater on the West Coast of Florida was shut down for EXACTLY that reason. Someone didn't like what was being said on the repeater, they complained to the tower owner (Clear Channel), and the tower owner made the repeater owner/trustee remove the machine. The 94 repeater covered 7 counties around the Tampa Bay Area. And, it was a fine repeater too... It was a sad day for sure when the 94 machine came down. No other machine in the Tampa area had/has that much coverage.... The antenna was at 1,100 ft above sea level.

Dan WQ4G

N0TZU and KX4O like this.
  6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

And .50 works well for those more distant "contacts".

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not gonna touch that topic, but neighbor's cats look quite tasty, when the MREs run out. :eek:

AD5HR likes this.
  8. W7OTL

W7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

As someone who has eaten MRE’s for an extended period of time, the cat will look tasty long before the MRE’s run out.

K6CPO likes this.
  9. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Or defend against it.

10. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sense... thanks.. Jerry