Repeater Use and Restrictions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI7LFD, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not necessarily, though that may often be the case.

Look through Part 97. You won't find any mention of open or closed repeaters. If one of the repeater directories has a repeater listed a certain way, that doesn't affect the control operator's right to limit the use of the repeater. There's no legal meaning to the open/closed status in a directory listing, though it may provide a hint as to the owner's attitude toward newcomers.

Often, "open" means that anyone is welcome, unless and until they violate one of the rules. How they're notified of the rules and of a violation is up to the repeater owner.

K0UO likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still waiting for the FCC to start enforcing the rules.

I held my breath waiting, Now I have to keep getting my oxygen tanks refilled. :eek:

Instead of the Gov enforcing the rules, They just make new rules that they can not enforce. o_O

3. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I only owned and operated 3 VHF/UHF repeaters in the PNW for about 10 or 15 years, and thankfully never had people jamming any of them.

Jamming is sometimes defined as "parking" on the input frequency and it's fairly easy to locate the perp(s)

And yes, I did "OWN" the frequencies. The Quotes are to indicate that I say this figuratively (for the person that said "No one can 'OWN' a frequency" ......and that person is essentially right.....

I guess you could say that I (my repeaters) were continuously "using" the frequencies and while the frequencies were being used, someone else couldn't appear and "take" them away.

Those frequencies were allocated to me (my repeater group) as the repeater owner/trustee by the WWARA which is known in this area as the repeater frequency coordination "authority". Once the frequency pair is allocated, amateurs operating on that (input) frequency are either operating the repeater or "jamming" it. Allocated frequencies for repeaters are not secret.

There actually has been some enforcement over the years.....
    If you want to see more about that, click https://www.fcc.gov/general/amateur-radio-service-enforcement-actions

While there isn't a huge amount of FCC enforcement of repeater interference by hams, The FCC has actually gotten right on it fairly quickly when notified.

I didn't see any enforecement actions on someone "talking" about prohibited "things" but if someone interferes with(or jams) a repeater, it seems like the FCC might get right on it if presented with enough evidence.

I suspect when someone is asked not to use a particular repeater or refrain from certain subjects, they usually do it. My group only didn't want the obvious stuff discussed, 7-words, business, etc...... most everything else was A-OK.

But, as the repeater owner, if I did not want a certain subject discussed, I could essentially inform the persons and if they didn't stop, I could ask them to "leave". If they didn't leave, their continued operation could probably eventually be construed as "interference".

It never happened. My answer would have been to simply shut the repeater off when they came on. (remember that a control (or designated control) operator must always be present to guard against prohibited operation.

This is all extreme stuff. It (thankfully) never happened.

I am completely out of repeaters now (also thankfully!!)

K0UO likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Your wait --at least as far as one repeater jammer was concerned-- ended last October:

A New York Radio Amateur — Harold Guretzky, K6DPZ, of Richmond Hill — is facing a $17,000 fine imposed by the FCC. Guretzky was issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) on October 3 for causing intentional interference on a local repeater and preventing other radio amateurs from using it.

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-propos...io-amateur-17-000-for-deliberate-interference

;)

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

A repeater may operate under "automatic control", where a control operator doesn't always need to be present.

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, repeater owners have the right to ban any individual or topic on their repeater.

The Rowan county NC club bans talk about politics and talk about religion

N0TZU and W4NNF like this.
  7. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Would a church group enter into the realm of broadcasting? I can see a ban in that scenario. One solution might be to have a reserved time for each group to hold a net for their particular organizations if they wish...I could even see some dues being paid for the upkeep of the repeater.

8. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you determine MOST PREPERS use Baofeng?? Where is your data?

K4TTJ likes this.
  9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's only 'broadcasting' if the transmissions are aimed at reception by the general public. If the group is trying to spread religion only among hams, then it is a bulletin, and permitted under the rules. I've heard quite a few church nets that meet on the air, and never heard one 'broadcasting'. More than one begin their net by having people check in and share a favorite Bible verse. It's a twist on the popular daily "I'm still alive" nets.

No, if the repeater owner objects, they can restrict how the repeater is used. I think such cases would be very rare. But I can see it if a group tried to take over a repeater without permission of the owner. Because they are "doing God's work" I'm sure there are groups that think they're entitled to do such on a repeater they don't own. Or, there have been pitched battles between the secular users and the religious ones, or arguments about religion tying up the repeater.

I could see banning politics too.

AG5DB likes this.
  10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a fellow Ham that was banned from one of the local repeaters because he was ID'ing in CW. When the fellow tried to argue with the trustee/owner of the repeater, that CW was legal on all Amateur Bands and that it was legal to ID on a repeater with CW, he got the boot. Oh, and a letter from the FCC telling him stay off the repeater in question.

A repeater owner/trustee can boot you from the machine just because he doesn't want YOU using HIS machine... Maybe there would be some recourse if he openly used race or sexual preference as a reason - maybe not. But, I'm pretty sure it would require a pretty large sum of money to press the issue.

Dan WQ4G