Repeater, repeater

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W6BQZ, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W6BQZ

W6BQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

See, there it is again - frequency, but no tone (maybe I should have titled this string "tone deaf")

Ay yi yi, yo!

2. BH3MDE

BH3MDE Ham Member QRZ Page

How many amateur Ham repeater is working for now in your city?

3. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can hit about 30 from my QTH. Nothing on them most of the time, but I can hit them...

4. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's the heart of the problem. I think back before the Technicians had access to HF and then the mass migration from Technician to General Class operators, there was activity almost 24 x 7 and you could always find someone to talk too. I've heard that a lot of repeaters have been shut down due to a lack of activity and money for the electricity to operate the repeaters. There's another issue now to factor in and this is D-Star Repeaters even though there are probably more analog FM transceivers available that are sitting unused.

Dan
    WA9WVX

5. KJ6RGX

KJ6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

We travel in our RV to different area's of the country and I have experienced the same thing. While in Payson AZ. it took me a few days of scanning the repeaters to find activity. Once I found them there was plenty of activity but I was not familiar with linked repeaters so I didn't do any ragchewing, just checked in to the nightly net. Getting the right frequency and tones can drive you crazy.

Then while in Coffeyville KS. I was unable to locate any active 2m repeater. Emails to the local club yielded zero responses. So I packed the 2m radio up and stuck with HF for my radio fix. I just figured they were using some other band like 220 or 440. I don't have radio's for those bands so I didn't scan for activity.

I always try to contact local clubs when staying in a location for an extend period of time to meet local ham's and talk radio. Kansas is the only location where I failed to make contact with a club or local ham.

Dan
    KJ6RGX

6. KI0EO

KI0EO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have a smart phone. Download an APP called RepeaterBook.
    You can also find it on the web.
    It is constantly being updated by hams.
    It shows if a repeater has been active, requires a PL tone, if it has Echolink/IRLP access...etc.
    You can sort by band, mode etc.
    Also if you enable your location, you can get a list of repeaters nearby starting with the closest.

As far as repeater activity. It comes and goes here in NWIA.
    I have a couple of repeaters in Le Mars, IA that are linked to other communities and also Echolink.
    These repeaters stay relatively active.
    We believe a lot of this success is due to the fact that we have no rules (other than FCC rules/regs), no clubs, no secret handshakes and the repeaters are owned and maintained by individual hams (no politics :)).
    Any ham who wants to see a repeater is encouraged to come and take a tour.
    Also, we do have a few DTMF commands programmed in the controller for hams to try out their DTMF pad.
    I strongly encourage this and all we ask is that you don't forget to say your call.

In my 20 years of being a ham, I've seen a lot of repeaters go silent.
    I truly believe that if these repeater trustees/clubs would take a good hard look at themselves, they might find the answer why.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the http://k5ehx.net site, but they recently changed their user interface and I'm not that wild about the new one. On the first screen, put your location into the search box. I just did a search on Hilo HI, and it came up with a list of 20 repeaters - and a Google Map of the repeater locations. After your initial search, there is a pull down menu in the upper right with many more functions. You can download your search results in various formats, to work with most programming software. I've found the info here to be fairly accurate.

8. W5HFI

W5HFI Ham Member QRZ Page

As a regular traveling ham I bought a 2 meter rig with thoughts of ragchewing along the way. After 3 years on the road, not one qso on 2 meters!

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Have you tried calling CQ? Have you pushed the push to transmit button? Have you driven outside of a 5 mile radius?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.