ad: BKQSL-1

Repeater, repeater

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W6BQZ, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6BQZ

W6BQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have listened to a friend when I told him I was excited about going to Hawaii and that I had purchased a new handheld with an antenna upgrade. He said not to get too let down, that I would find out soon enough that half the repeaters listed in any state online we're not working, that locations were incorrect and finding one while away anywhere really was like the old needle in a haystack. Day three now and I'm done hunting. How hard can it be to list cities and then indicate which repeaters work given logical transmitting location and environment?

2. W9DSD

W9DSD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no issues when I went to Michigan earlier this year Did you bother to contact any radio clubs in the area, or did you just attempt to use the typically outdated info available on most of the repeater search sites? I found this in under a minute....http://www.earchi.org/rptr_repeaters.html. I also set up my scanner to scan the 2M/70cm bands when I was on vacation so I could hear anything in range. It worked out rather well.

3. W6BQZ

Thanks Dave. I've been all over Google but haven't seen this page. But, you know what they say, you can't work em if they can't hear you. Something very essential has been left out, like the tones?

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What bands are you interested in finding repeaters on?

5. W6BQZ

Hi Matt,

I bought a Yaesu FT60R with 2 and 70cm and a Diamond antenna. What makes it difficult is the prevalence of partial information. For example regarding tones (if they are the right tones, if the repeater is non-op certain hours, and more considerations) is the hunt for them - knowing if tones aren't listed it doesn't mean you don't need them (could be an error omission, how can you know for certain?). I know I'm not the first ham to gripe about this. My two cents is that at least twice per hour there should be, along with station ID, tones given in CW (and at a reasonable copy speed too). If you would like visitors to join in. Or maybe some repeaters would rather not encourage visitor participation, I don't know. But meanwhile i am able to now listen to one frequency today, but that is after programming 15 frequencies (Yes, 15 frequencies that led nowhere!!). So, for now, only with my nose pressed against the windowpane. Time for doing something else I suppose, mahalo.

6. KC9UDX

I scan the bands a lot. I keep a log of repeaters I've heard, and ones I can access. If I hear one I haven't heard before, I do a tone scan. Your FT-60R should have this capability, but I don't have one, so I don't know for sure. Once I know the tone, I'll look the repeater up in the ARRL Repeater Directory. From there I'll usually know if it's a Closed repeater. If not, I'll key up the repeater and ask for a signal report. If someone comes back, and I don't already know, I'll ask if it's an open system.

The trouble with this is that you have to hear the repeater to know it's there, which usually means someone else is using or has used it, which, is not always the case.

I don't know what your area is like, but around here *most* repeaters use the same tone frequency, 127.3. If I didn't have any information, I'd be tempted to use that tone on every repeater input frequency and see what I could bring up.

I recommend getting a copy of the ARRL Repeater Directory, even if you get one that's a couple years old at a discount. It's about as accurate as you're going to get.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are listed in various places, but the people publishing the lists, including the ARRL, can only publish the info provided to them. If the info is out of date, that's the coordinating councils' fault or the repeater owners' fault, not the ones publishing the lists.

My experience in Hawaii is repeaters aren't very active, and the few that are I found mostly locals who knew each other and weren't particularly interested in chatting with visitors.

That's why when I go someplace like that now, I bring a small HF rig and get on 20 meters.:p Even that can be a challenge, since Hawaii is 2500 miles away from anything else, so it takes some reasonably good propagation to work anyone. But I usually can.

8. KC9UDX

When I go to Hawaii, I usually just cruise over to Fanning Island when I want to get on the air. When you get on the air from there, you have no trouble finding someone to talk to.

9. W6BQZ

One good thing that comes from all of this, is that the Hawaiian club noted above sells a long wire HF Matchbox antenna deal I see on their web site, which I'm going to take them up on. Mahalo for all the replies, even if I have made contact yet . . .

Now I have to master deleting saved frequencies . . .

10. NO2A

NO2A Ham Member QRZ Page

When all else fails,start with the most popular repeater frequency of all time-146.940!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.