Repeater question

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W7CJD, Apr 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having a really hard time understanding your questions. Maybe it's language problem or maybe I'm just not getting something. I'm not sure if your radio is 1.2 GHz, 2m, or 2m/440 dual band, so I'm going to take a guess that it's a 2m/440 dual band.

Is it possible that your radio is set to cross-band repeat mode without your knowledge, and that it is trying to transmit on 440 when it is hearing a 2m signal? I don't see a radio overheating like that unless it is transmitting.

If none of this helps, maybe you can explain it a little more.

AG6QR likes this.
  2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

It's an Icom 2710. That was mentioned in one of the posts above.

I'm not familiar with that radio, but I just checked the manual, and it does look like it is capable of crossband operation. I think you may have figured it out.

3. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope that's all it is. OP: If that's what is happening, and you want to use that repeat mode, for example if you want to be away from the radio using a portable to talk "through" the Icom, you might be able to set that side to low power. It might be in high power mode now which would generate a lot of heat if it keyed for more than a minute or so.

W7CJD likes this.
  4. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used crossband repeat on purpose once, in years past, in the mountains near here.

I will look thru the menu to check it.

I hope that is it.

The software depends on a cable and a floppy disk I have.

I did recently purchase a portable floppy disk drive to copy the file, and I have searched for how to run DOS on a more recent computer.

I happen to have a DOS laptop, seriously, and I have been looking to get it up and running.

Really, I have a Compaq LTE Lite 4/25C with a DOS browser running on DOS 6.22 and an IBM PS/2 Model L40 SX laptop with a DOS Word Perfect that has a screenreader.

I even have an IBM PS2 with Windows 3.11 in the garage.

All that aside, I find transceiver menus arcane.

Either I will look at the control software in DOS, or, I will struggle with the menu because it could be the answer.

Thank you, this could be problem solved.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Turning off the radio should take it out of cross-band repeat.

W6KCS likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what a "DOS Browser" is. In most cases, Win 10 will NOT run "old" 16 bit DOS programs, so you may have to use one of the older computers to check the programming of your radio. MS-DOS 6.22 or MS-DOS 5.x + Win 3.11 should be all that is needed.

W7CJD likes this.
  7. W7CJD

I will drag out the old computers and cables.

I got on internet with DOS 6.22 running Arachne DOS Browser, with the Compaq LTE Lite 4/25C (Hi Color). Arachne DOS browser http://www.glennmcc.org/

The online support tech for Compaq in UK gave me the nickname by saying "you go geekgrrl"!

8. W7CJD

Hah!

crossband repeat out of memory
    and VFO Frequency Lock ON

Thank you, all.

Attached Files:

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency was you set to cross-band with ?

That still does not explain the original problem. Once you turn off the radio, The repeat function turns off. Until you turn it back on again.
    What furniture ? Does the radio get air flow ?

Last edited: May 1, 2019