ad: M2Ant-1

Repeater Identification and Access

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC1JLM, Nov 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC1JLM

KC1JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

N1IOE is about 67 road miles away. It's the closest repeater other than the Jay peak repeater, which is currently non op. I will try to keep calling on the National calling frequency for 2m & 70cm for now.

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

67 miles is quite a distance for a 7 watt HT, even with a decent outdoor antenna. My guess is that K5URU's first theory is correct. You're probably getting just enough signal to key up the repeater, maybe with a bit of noisy audio that's mostly unintelligible.

The fact that you're getting the repeater to send anything at all back means you're almost making it, though. Maybe if you used a four-element beam pointed at the repeater instead of a 1/4 wave ground plane, you might just make it in. Or, if you switch to a 50W or better mobile, that would probably do the trick. If you ever travel closer to the repeater site, you might be able to get in using your 7W from a better location.

It also might be worth trying to transmit just after you hear another conversation on the repeater ending. That way, you know somebody's listening. They might be more likely to say something like, "station calling, sorry, couldn't quite copy -- turn up the power and try again?" Or, they still might ignore you.

3. KC1JLM

Thanks for all the help everybody! It's great to see all of the support a new ham can get!!

I just ordered the ARRL Classic Antenna book. I plan on doing some builds out of that. I am also starting to put together some items for QRP CW. I hope to have a descent rig up and running by the time I pass my general exam in a few weeks. Hopefully I will be able to make some better contacts on the 20/40m bands via cw.

4. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what I really enjoy about amateur radio. Operating the radio is fun, but working with and learning from others to figure out how all this stuff works is the best part.

If you get a chance to make some contacts on your local VHF/UHF repeaters, be sure to keep us updated.

As an aside, if you're so inclined, you may also want to look into getting an IRLP or AllStar node, or using Echolink to connect to some of these nodes. Even though they aren't 100% RF, I've enjoyed hundreds of conversations and learned a ton about radio through their ability to connect me to the larger radio world, using the internet as a bridge.

Let us know how the QRP CW project comes along. That sounds like fun, and I'd like to learn more about it myself!

-Blake

5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had a Baofeng UV-3R, I used their English version software.

No problem.

I had to find it, at a UK reseller, at the time.

Baofeng 82HP VIP software
    https://baofengtech.com/download

(scroll down the page)

6. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

uh yeah, your going to need a yagi (and some height) at that distance to even have a snowballs chance unless the repeater is on some insane mountain or 700ft tv station tower etc...........sorry to be the bearer the bad news.

7. W7CJD

Elk yagi antennas are efficient, and can be stacked with a phasing harness for more gain.

8. KC1JLM

I actually took down my 1/4 wave ground plane today to only find out that is was reading at over 3.5:1! I removed the vertical element and soldered a 21" vertical element. The SWR was at 3:1 and so I slowly started removing length. The best I could get was about 2.8:1. I really can't buy an antenna (well, maybe, would have to sweet talk the ms.), so any ideas on a good DIY antenna? I have the ARRL Classic Antenna book on the way, but I am inpatient....LOL. I will do some online research this evening as well.

My set up was with 12ga. solid copper wire with the main element at 19.5" and the four ground elements set at 20" 45deg below plane. They were soldered to a SO-239 coax mount then mounted about 35' in the air. I then used good RG8x coax as my feed line, 18' to my upstairs bedroom.

Thanks!

9. KC1JLM

I put up a commercial j pole at 40' and can hit the repeaters strong. Will see how tonight's wind do, but may be heading in the right direction!

K5URU likes this.
  10. W7CJD