Repeater Identification and Access

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC1JLM, Nov 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC1JLM

KC1JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Repeaters have a standard offset.

Here is the standard offset for 2 meter.

http://www.smeter.net/slc/stations/vhf-amateur-repeater-input-offsets.php

Not all repeaters have a PL "tone".

The repeaters near you have a PL tone, like 88.5 100 103.5 108

I am surprised Chirp has more listed than "offset" and "tone".

I see you have "Low" power selected on three lines. I would think you would want "High" power selected.

3. KC1JLM

yes, I do have it set to low and the TX off, it is our local PD ;) I know that some repeaters do not have a PL tone, those that do not list a specific tone, is set to "None". I will go by the offset listed in the repeater directories over the Chirp's auto-populate.....although it has yet to be wrong.

Ideas??

4. W7CJD

I am surprised you have police, fire and public safety.

As a radio amateur, you are not allowed to transmit.

In addition, depending on local ordinances or state law you are not allowed to listen.

For example, it is a crime in San Francisco to have a scanner in your vehicle.

Where I reside, now, one Sheriff wanted me to have their codes.

In fact, I was given codes I will not refer to by name for helicopter rescue.

I no longer keep those codes, because I am no longer active in rescue, not even in command group.

I quit, when many thousands of dollars of my own mountaineering rescue equipment was stolen out of my truck at a six counties rescue in California.

I have helped with all I know about 2/440 (2/70cm) and programming software.

Here is a reference for the "offset" for 2/440 (2/70cm):
    http://www.af1hs.com/sro.html

Maybe someone that uses Chirp software will join in.

5. W7CJD

I see you are "QRZ Member" and not "Ham Member".

Do you have a license and a callsign?

Until you do, radio amateurs will very likely not respond or QSO.

edit:

I see your callsign in your first post in the thread.

You can use your callsign in the forum.

You can also have a "QRZ page" for others to know something about you and/or you radio amateur station and/or interests.

Look at a few.

They are a great feature.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. KC1JLM

Thanks for the feedback. I joined QRZ before I received my call sign, hence my username.

Here in VT, I am allowed to scan. Plus, I have to as I am a firefighter with Lowell FD. They were going to give me a designated radio, but mine is better....LOL.

Again, thanks for the comments. I will reach out to my local hams.

Josh

7. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Josh,

I've found the following website handy for repeaters in Vermont:

http://www.levinecentral.com/repeaters/google_mapping.php

The last time I drove out there I remember Vermont being Hilly and Mountainous which might be presenting RF Path Losses for your handheld.

For Amateur Radio Clubs, I found two ARRL webpages with all the clubs in Vermont:

http://www.arrl.org/clubs/search/page:1/Location.state:VT/model:Group

http://www.arrl.org/clubs/search/page:2/Location.state:VT/model:Group

Dan
    WA9WVX

8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

https://www.qrz.com/lookup?query=kc1erl

Per everything he's described here, it seems he is doing everything perfectly legally, and it sure doesn't seem he's doing anything that would make anyone want to intentionally ignore him, aside from the fact that there seem to be a number of such snobs out there who won't talk to anyone new or they don't recognise.

KC1JLM likes this.
  9. KC1JLM

WA9WVX,

Thanks for the info. There are clubs around, it is just that the first week of every month is very busy for me. Last month, I had mandatory FD meeting along with tech exam. Next month, again, mandatory FD meeting and general exam. I really want to connect with a local club, but for now, I am trying to pick your brains, so to speak. I have two other hams in my town, but I don't know them. May just have to send out a letter to see if they would like to help a new ham out. Would that be an acceptable practice in this hobby?

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Josh,

If you have a "smartphone," I highly recommend the "RepeaterBook" app. It is free, and works incredibly well.

Until you get things working, don't use "tone squelch". I see you only have it for that one frequency, and since you are hearing things there it must be correct to use it. Otherwise, there are repeaters that don't transmit a PL tone back to you, so you won't hear those with tone squelch turned on.

I used http://www.repeaterbook.com with your zipcode to get the following results:

Frequency Offset Tone Call Location ST/PR Use VOIP Mi Dir Operational status
    147.3450 +0.6 MHz 114.8 K1EME Littleton NH OPEN 47.6 SE Unknown status
    145.1500 -0.6 MHz 100.0 WB1GQR Bolton, Ski Area VT OPEN EI 30.2 SW ON-AIR
    146.7900 -0.6 MHz 100.0 KB1KJS Essex Junction VT OPEN 38.0 WSW Unknown status
    146.8500 -0.6 MHz W1CTE Essex Junction, Fleming Elementary VT OPEN 38.0 WSW ON-AIR
    145.2300 -0.6 MHz 100.0 N1STA Saint Albans, French Hill VT OPEN 30.6 W OFF-AIR
    145.4700 -0.6 MHz 100.0 N1ELL Jericho, Mt Mansfield VT OPEN 24.4 SW Unknown status
    146.9400 -0.6 MHz 100.0 W1KOO Jericho, Mt Mansfield VT OPEN 24.3 SW ON-AIR
    146.7450 -0.6 MHz 100.0 K1JAY Westfield, Jay Peak VT OPEN 9.9 NNW OFF-AIR
    146.8200 -0.6 MHz 100.0 W1BD Cabot VT OPEN 27.7 SSE ON-AIR
    145.4100 -0.6 MHz VE2RVW Sutton, Mount Sutton QC OPEN 23.2 NNW ON-AIR
    145.2700 -0.6 MHz 103.5 VE2RTO Mont-Orford QC OPEN 36.1 NNE ON-AIR
    146.6400 -0.6 MHz VE2RTC Sutton QC OPEN 23.2 NNW Unknown status
    147.3600 +0.6 MHz 118.8 VE2RDM Coaticook QC OPEN 40.0 NE Unknown status

Since I don't see that 147.145 frequency on that list, I would recommend don't transmit there until you learn something more about it.

The one thing that sticks out here, is, if this list is accurate for you, you have the wrong PL for 146.745, and you don't have TONE mode on. If this repeater is only 9.9 miles away, you should have no problem getting into it (if it works).

I only searched for 2m, and, you'll find that if you use the mobile app, you will get much better results.

Perhaps you could drive to a place indicated there and try to bring up a repeater very locally. The ski hill one should be an obvious find.

Matt