ad: UR5CDX-1

Repeater Identification and Access

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC1JLM, Nov 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC1JLM

KC1JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mods, if this is the wrong place, please move. Was originally going to post elsewhere, but did not have the permissions.

Since I have received my ticket, I have been busy trying to make my first QSO using a Baofeng UV-82HP and a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna that is 30' up. I have used the standard 2m and 70cm calling frequencies to no avail. I have also been trying to go down the list of repeaters in my area to see which ones I can hit. The one repeater, N1IOE, located in Barre, VT; I can hit it (it identifies itself), but have yet to hear another soul on that frequency. There is another repeater (I think) that transmits on 147.145, that has tons of stations chatting it up, but I just can't reach them. They come in crystal clear. I have heard guys from CA and OK like there were in the room. Maybe they are using a different mode? I have tried to catch the identifier, but while I am getting better at CW coping, it shoots it out at high rate.

Any suggestions? I have gone through some of my neighboring states to try to identify the repeater with no luck. But I think it is located to the east side of VT as I lost it's signal on my way in to work today (travelling west).

I have also double and triple checked my PL tones, offsets, etc. for N1IOE....

Thanks for any advise to a new ham!

KC1ERL

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KC1JLM

OK, to hear stations clearly, but unable to talk back, would make sense. I am only on a lil HT, they may have more power, etc.

One more question, I have used different sources for repeaters and at times, such as N1IOE, one source will list a 70cm frequency, while another will list a 2m. Is that repeater operating with both?

Thanks,
    Josh

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

The same call sign (whether a club or an individual) may operate multiple repeaters. The repeaters may be linked, meaning whatever is transmitted to one goes out on all of them, or they may be completely separate and unrelated, sharing nothing but a call sign. There's no general rule. Many popular repeaters have a website that gives some details about them, but that's not universal.

If you can't find your answer any other way, then when you hear a conversation on the 70cm frequency, quickly tune over to the 2m frequency and see if you hear the same guys talking. Or else try to raise somebody on the repeater and ask.

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you're getting into the repeater but no one comes back to you, call CQ.

If someone is listening, they will no doubt come back to you and chew you out for calling CQ. But they came back to you.

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Or you can say, "This is KC1ERL. I'm a newly licensed ham, and I'd like some information about this repeater. Is there anyone listening who could help me?"

I've seen etiquette suggestions that one should only throw out one's call sign on a repeater, and those interested in talking to you will come back. That sometimes works, especially for the "regular" crowd on the repeater, but sometimes unknown callsigns may go unanswered. I see no harm in using a few brief words to describe why you're making a call, if it's not obvious. I've been known to say "AG6QR is looking for a signal report on a new antenna", or "AG6QR, wondering if I can reach this repeater from East Bumblefork".

I never call "CQ" on a 2m repeater, lest I incur the wrath of some self-appointed CQ police. But as KC9UDX points out, it may be one way to bring people out of the woodwork...

7. KC1JLM

Haha!! Well that's one way to do it! Would rather avoid a chew'n for my first QSO though.....

One more question, the 'beep' I hear when the other stations are using the repeaters, is that a type of tone squelch? Or just a setting on their rig such as the roger beep?

I will keep working at it, just thought I would would throw it out there to you wiser hams.....

While I am here at work, may shoot up to the fourth floor and step out on a balcony and see what I can get.....

8. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting about the repeater you think is on 147.145. Do you know for sure which state it's in? Also, they won't be using a different mode or else your FM radio wouldn't work so well with it. I would guess that they're using IRLP (using the internet to link repeaters) although I've never used it and so I might be wrong.

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It could be someone's Echolink node, not necessarily a repeater.

10. KC1JLM

I will just have to keep listening in on that frequency for a clue. I have checked all the states in NE for a repeater on that frequency.