Repeater Etiquette for Ham radio demos?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6TEP, Apr 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K6TEP

K6TEP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a very green ham, licensed several years, just now getting on the air more often. Now that I'm carrying an HT more, and at public events, I've been asked "what's that radio for?"

I'm relatively knowledgeable about ham radio technically, but my operating experience is very light.

What's the etiquette for calling into a repeater to ask for assistance with a ham radio/repeater demo to promote our hobby?

Is this even a good use of the repeaters, assuming they're not already in use?

2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

For the best response key your mic and using morse code fart your callsign.

I have not been 2 meters for at least 20 years, I do have a scanner and have not heard any one on around here. Glad you are in an area that has activity.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    N7ZAL and KB7QPS like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as nobody is using it and no prohibitions by the owner, just identify with your call and say "demoing HT to people". Don't tie up the repeater for more than a few seconds.

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

With some of the cranks on the air I'm not sure I would want to demonstrate for fear of getting embarrassed by one.

KD8OSD and WF9Q like this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean explaining what a good "rag chew" is to your demo guests.

WZ7U likes this.
  6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to be familiar with the repeater's culture, the personalities of the regulars, etc.

There was a time a few decades ago in San Diego, when you probably wouldn't turn your HT on in polite company, let alone request a demo. This was the 04/10-4 Mt. Otay repeater during the repeater wars of the '80's. Things have settled down in the years since, and before I moved a couple of years ago, you might have a hard time getting anyone to respond there.

But, if you had the confidence that the boys would be on their best behavior, a polite request ought to result in many on the frequency giving callsigns and approximate locations.

7. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Repeaters are fine today. Rarely do I hear bad etiquette.

I think the best way to demo a radio would be to ask for a quick "radio check" on the air with a repeater that has activity. Then someone might respond and say you are "full quieting" or perhaps nobody would respond, but asking for a "radio check" is a quick thing that wouldn't take much time.

Though when I think about it, you could use the autopatch function of a local repeater and call your mom (sister, daughter, etc) via the repeater.

K6TEP likes this.
  8. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd have no problem calling out something like "AG6QR, trying to demonstrate ham radio to a friend. Can anyone say hi to Bill?"

I'm a semi-regular on my home repeater, probably not one of the top 30 most frequent operators, but I know most of them. It's a good group. I'm confident I'd get a good response.

KD2ACO, WU8Y, K6TEP and 1 other person like this.
  9. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

With today's technology I doubt anyone would be impressed using a ham radio on VHF/UHF. Satellite operation might be of limited interest.

Many might try to see some similarity to a cell phone and conclude a cell phone is better. :)

K4YND likes this.
  10. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. When I was a novice in 1977, a 2 meter handheld was pure magic. Only thing magical today is you can get one for $25.00

NK2U, W8BE and N7ZAL like this.