ad: wmr-1

Repeater DX

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KL7AJ, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the (immense) privilege of working Paul Lieb (SK) KH6HME from Palos Verdes, CA portable several years ago on 2Meter SSB. All the credit goes to the duct, of course. My actual home location is shielded by a BIG hill and Palos Verdes peninsula here in So. Cal, so I packed up equipment and drove to the bluffs of Palos Verdes, with a clear shot over the ocean. A simple 5 el 2 Meter Yagi on a 10' of mast, and 35 watts SSB, I was able to talk to Paul as if he were standing beside me.
    When the duct is open and well formed, (Usually late July) it will support ALL modes of transmission (AM, FM, CW, SSB, etc.) often through 10 GHz. I heard his (lower power) beacons on 70 cm and 23 cm, clear as a bell at the time.

But no, I haven't personally worked "FM repeater" to Hawaii, although many have, often through the AA6DP 2 Meter repeater on Catalina Island, "26 Miles across the sea" from mainland Southern California.

2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The real shame is that when I am working FM simplex and repeaters for hundreds of miles , I cant raise a soul on 144.200 SSB or CW....

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can. Are you using a horizontally polarized beam for SSB?

Here, we have a whole "commuter hour" (which goes on for 4-5 hours since we have such lovely traffic) on 144.200 and a lot of guys are chit-chatting there way beyond the range of the repeaters.

4. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

An active ssb community sounds like fun.

The folks out here rather use the walkie-talkie portion of the band. They don't have to do anything but hook up a radio/ant and program the offset / pl. once they find their "home repeater" and make themselves established they treat 2m as a party line that has the unfortunate feature of "random strangers". It's not real radio. Any Elmer can tell you that.

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anybody remember the satellites? Some of those are truly nothing more then a repeater in orbit.

Have fun
    Gary

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Except they typically are available for only 9-10 minutes each 90-100 minute pass. But do NOT use them for ragchews, because if one station "captures" the space based repeater, all other stations are blocked out. it's best to make a quick contact, and then free up the bird so that others can make a contact, as well.

7. KJ6LXX

KJ6LXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey that's my repeater!
    Well, not mine. But I am a member or the LPRC.

Loma is pretty high and we do get some check ins from the Sierras. The repeater has great coverage.
    But I don't understand how you worked Hawaii.
    If you were through the repeater why the right altitude? or was it just the input/output frequency?

Could you explain?
    I am interested and I think others in our club will be also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.