ad: w5yi

Repeater DX

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KL7AJ, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I lived in L.A., working for a small communications company, I had a Cushman communications monitor idling away on the bench most of the time, connected to a VHF ground plane at maybe 120 feet. Every once in a while I'd hear a repeater in Hawaii....can't remember exactly which one. Of course FM isn't the best weak signal mode, but when ducting was in play, it worked fine.

Anyway....wonder how many here have worked "repeater DX"? Wonder if there could be some kind of award. :)

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Used to be a 2m repeater on 146.72 atop Mauna Kea. I've heard it many times in L.A.

However I don't know if it's still active...this was years ago.

3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Its blasphemy and i'll do it when conditions allow (and ssb is empty)

:)

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked Hawaii through the 146.64 repeater in San Jose a couple times. In order to catch that duct, you usually need to be at the right altitude. Too high, and there's no signal.

We get some pretty wild ducts going here in the upper Midwest. I've used the 146.82 repeater in Kansas City several times from here in Minnesota. Tropo scatter is generally possible any day that there is not a big low pressure storm front moving through. I used to check into a weekly digital net on 2 meters from here, where the net control was in Peoria, and several stations were at that distance or greater from me (300 miles). There is a fairly consistent tropo path over the Great Lakes from here. I guess Wisconsin looks like water, because it just sort of disappears, and we'll have stations from Michigan and often further east along the lakes booming in here. There was a fellow in Des Moines who kept a weekly sked with a friend in Indiana on 432.100.

Back when dirt was a new concept, people like me did a lot of hilltopping, and it was always fun to see what distant repeaters we could work - sometimes it would be more than a little amazing how far away we could work from our mountaintop to a distant repeater on another mountain. It's too bad we've lost that curiosity.

5. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked a repeater in TX back in the late 80's, it was burying the local(to me local is within 60 miles) repeater I was trying to work

7. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Used to work a repeater that was near Mt. Rushmore in SD from the Denver area while mobile when we would have ducting.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been mobile in central Louisiana and worked repeaters in Iowa and Nebraska on 2-meter FM for several hours after dawn during early June several times.

Glen, K9STH

9. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

While the Mountainlake site is certainly useful. It won't always tell you about the paths that do exist, especially so for some truly long haul stuff on 2M and up.

Just this last weekend there were a number of us in MN, MI, WI, and IL who worked or heard stations in VA, GA, TN, AL, MS via tropo ducting on 2M and up. But yet the Mountainlake map offered almost no indications that those paths were possible. It was showing a lot of enhancement conditions for the 2-300 mile stuff between the states on the north end of that path, but showed basically no propagation at all on the southern end. And certainly did not show any paths between the northern and southern ends of the ducting path at all.

This time the Hepburn site did do better at predicting the paths, but even it wasn't predicting conditions to be as good as they were.

The lack of information provided by these websites about what was really going I and others have seen happen many times before. So the bottom line is that you do not want to depend on the Internet propagation and spotting networks to decide when to get on. Doing so will cause you to miss openings.

10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i get a kick out of the mountainlake aprs map. i suspect much tomfoolery afoot.

anyone can pipe aprs into an amp and directional antenna. i thought about trying to find the creator and asking for a show-only filter so i could have a look at my antenna pattern in-the-wild :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.