Repeater Directory

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF5LJW, Jun 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any Directory up to date? Look at many of them and all are not current. Shows repeaters that are not in service, or missing repeaters. I even tried RFinder by ARRL and it has the most errors of all of them.

W1ADE and NK2U like this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

No, there isn't.

Repeaters come and go.
    Many owners/sponsors.frequency coordinators don't report their activities.
    There is no longer specific licensing or FCC-issued special call signs for repeaters.
    So anyone can put one up (provided they go their local frequency coordinator), and anyone who has one can take it down, without telling anyone.
    Not to mention all the repeaters that ARE up, but no-one uses them. ;)

W1ADE and NK2U like this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Probably the most up to date repeater directory is this one:

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/

However, like all the other directories, it is dependent on people actually providing the updated information.

Glen, K9STH

4. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

None of the directories are "Current". I find local club sites have the most accurate info. That requires some surfing, but do that to backup or verify what I find in the directories.

W1ADE, NK2U and KU4X like this.
  5. W1ADE

W1ADE Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly this is what I've found of recent.

I pretty well know what's going on in my VHF/UHF/FM 'hood, but was interested in pre-loading some "destination repeater parameters" into my radios for those times when other vacation activities where curtailed by wx or other reasons.

Finding the local clubs and othersuch local/regional-oriented sites provides much better information, as well as a more accurate guide to what activities and nets you might encounter. Sometimes you'll even coverage maps for different machines, etc. In areas of high-density you'll likely have to find more than one site, but it does seem* much more fruitful than any sort of online directory I was able to access.

* "seem" because I've not actually been to the areas I researched to find out. But I'm not going for "Worked all Nets" or "Howdy on all Machines" awards...

And then you have these new rigs with preloaded repeater data--which seems like a great way to find a bunch of "dormant" machines in my estimation.

So I wound up with a few CHIRP files that I use for MY OWN repeater directories- and share if someone cares to see them.

ALSO I've found a little more interest and activity for FM Simplex at VHF doing this. Simplex is alive in my area--and it was -not- when I first got licensed. But that WWW helps us coordinate doesn't it? ;)

Heard a traveler calling CQ on 146.52 recently, first time in 22 years I've heard anyone call CQ on 52. I would have returned the call but wasn't close enough (weak FM bites yo). The time will come.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. KF5LJW

Oddly enough, that is what got me searching. Example in TX where I live most clubs are by County. Well my local club and surrounding counties do have repeater list, but only 1 of the 4 was up to date. So I am fairly certain by searching many directories I have found all the current repeater frequencies. But it took a few hours and a bit of driving to verify.

Additionally I am getting ready to go on vacation to Colorado Springs and was thinking I could program repeaters along the way. Well I gave up on that idea because I have a life and do not want to spend hours searching for bogus info.

7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

LJW:

Maybe for up in Grayson County the clubs are by county. But, starting at the next county south of you, Collin County, the amateur radio clubs are by city, not county! In Collin County, there are at least 4-amateur radio clubs with repeaters: The Richardson Wireless Klub (K5RWK) (Richardson is split into both Dallas County and Collin County), The Plano Amateur Radio Klub (K5PRK), The McKinney Amateur Radio Club (W5MRC), and the University of Texas Dallas Amateur Radio Club (K5UTC) (most of UTD is in Collin County). There are a number of amateur radio clubs in Dallas County, Tarrant County, and Denton County, and most, if not all, of those clubs have at least 1-repeater.

The McKinney club site has a fairly up to date list of repeaters in this area:

http://www.mckinneyarc.org/repeaters

You need to look at the repeater coordination organization, for the area, website for the best information if you do not wish to use the http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/ site. Of course, that site is definitely not perfect, but it is the best of the popular sites. Even the repeater coordination information is not perfect because, just like every other site, it needs to be updated on a regular basis and repeater owners are not the best people, in the world, for keeping their information up to date.

Glen, K9STH

8. KF5LJW

Thanks Glen. I am aware of McKinney ARC. Yeah there are a lot of clubs in DFW area and way too many repeaters to keep up with. Technically I work in Arlington and have to go there once a week from Sherman down 75/121/GBT. I have to turn my radio off or at least the Scanner part off as it will drive me nuts and never allow my stereo to play a full song. I have audio set up to come through the car stereo. So whenever there is a signal that breaks squelch or with the right PL Tone it cuts off the stereo and puts the ham radio on. I have priority set up as Cell, Ham, XM. Ham may have to go. :p. Driving in DFW area anymore is a MF. I remeber when McKinney was quaite a long ways from the metroplex. Now it goes all the way north to Melissa and Anna and almost into Grayson county.We can do without th ehigh property tax and gasoline prices they get in the metro.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW (maybe nothing) I've never used a repeater directory for anything.

Even if one was 100% accurate, it can't tell you if repeaters are "up" or "down" (meaning operational or temporarily out of service), or if they have any activity (hundreds of repeaters work fine but nobody uses them).

Traveling through a new area, I just let my mobile rig "scan." It will stop on activity, and tell me there's a repeater in range that works and is actually useful! Some rigs have the capability (even my very old Yaesu FT-3000M could do this) to scan and store; I'd park somewhere for lunch or dinner or overnight at a hotel or something, leave the rig "on" in the "scan and store" mode, and it would scan for hours; any time a frequency actually had activity, it would store that frequency into memory and then keep scanning. After a day or so, I'd have dozens of frequencies stored in memory that actually had some activity on them.

Problem: It did not store the CTCSS tone frequencies, so I'd still have to figure out what those were. In that particular case, a good directory would be helpful. However, a smart phone or iPad or laptop might be faster and more accurate if you just Google the callsign and see what comes up; very often, that will reveal info about the repeater including its location, estimated coverage area and CTCSS access tone.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I compile a master list for my area from the ARRL repeater book, Texas VHF FM Society, Repeaterbook.com, and RFinder. I sort by frequency, and figure if it is listed on two or more, it is probably still there. If a repeater is listed with no tone or an oddball tone on one list, I defer to the info on the other lists.

Of course, it helps to test each repeater, assuming you can hit it from where you are. Otherwise, scanning your list and noting which are active will work. I think one of the newer police scanners even has a way you can scan and log active frequencies.