ad: ProAudio-1

repeater antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by MRCONGENIALITY, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. MRCONGENIALITY

MRCONGENIALITY QRZ Member

looking to setup an inexpensive repeater system for canyon comms

it will be set at the top of and end of the canyon...

looking at the diamond x300a

anyone have any experience with this antenna?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're serious and intend a single-site duplex system with a duplexer, this isn't a good choice.

For a split-site system with TX and RX separated several hundred wavelengths with a control link between them, it should work.

3. MRCONGENIALITY

i was thinking of just a simple cross band... but could be talked into something more appropriate to fit.

4. WB2WIK

Cross-band is way easier on everything, but then users need dual-band transceivers which greatly limits the user base.

5. MRCONGENIALITY

it is a temporary site for some hikers. max 2 days up in the air once all the testing is done for the best place to put it.

6. WB2WIK

As long as the users all have dual-band radios, sure...why not?

But the repeater location has to be good enough to support those who cannot hear each other directly; otherwise, a waste of time.

7. MRCONGENIALITY

we are set to do propogation in the area the week before anyone is to hike in the area someone. a ham will be walking the course and testing it and i will be at base camp running control. we will have someone walking the parameter of the area to get the upper propogation. it's going to take us 2 days up there to figure out what is and isn't working. we know that radio propogation in canyons isn't easy, but we want to ensure that if there is an emergency, we know where we can go to to get help in.

8. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

hmmm, how many hams would not have a d b radio. if they play with repeaters...?

9. WB2WIK

I actually don't have any, and have had hand-held VHF transceivers since 1972.

The commercial LMR HTs (Motorola, et al.) aren't dual-band. And that's mostly what I use, only because they perform better.

10. MRCONGENIALITY

a lot are now tri-band... 4 of my hts have 2m/1.25/70cm.