Repair Tuner or Buy New

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3WVB, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, try and fix it but look out, you don't want to end up with a case of Verschlimmbessern

2. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are there degrees of not working? Is it like being dead or just mostly dead? Better call Miracle Max! :D

KE0MWN likes this.
  3. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, if it is broke don't break it anymore, but I suppose if it's broken enough not to work then what's to lose eh.

I had to Google Miracle Max, you live and learn

4. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Es wird schon nichtspielen. (Pardon my German, it is probably butchered and with Yank-English syntax).

The nice thing is that MFJ will repair the unit even if you attempted repair yourself.

5. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:) If you've never seen The Princess Bride, I recommend that you do.

KE0MWN likes this.
  6. KG7SWP

KG7SWP Ham Member QRZ Page

I buy other people's junk & repair it with the intent of selling it for a profit, then buying more junk to fix.....
    But, alas, I rarely end up selling stuff......

Ed

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I read through this entire thread of discussion including a detailed description of how the tuner is supposed to work, but could find no information on what is wrong with it other than "it needs some repairs". Maybe a more specific description of the failure would bring some useful suggestions on how to correct the problem, whatever it is.

N5PAR and WZ7U like this.
  8. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

some of the issues folks experience all result from tuning into a load at TOO HIGH an initial power level,working up to a 100 watt carrier level is best approached thru small steps from say 10 watts and up in smaller increments,from the Johnson Kilowatt "Flash Boxes" to any version of an Alkaselter for Antennaes . too short too low insufficient dielectric insulation resistance and a amplifier all add up to a cranky UPS driver and a happy Hro guy selling you your next installment of "R F BURNS" Mystery of the non resonant feedline and the conjugate match.I wont spoil the ending.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are normally operator error. o_O

10. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

INCONCEIVABLE!