ad: IACantenna-1

Repair Tuner or Buy New

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3WVB, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, what happened? Did you mail it to me? I will reimburse shipping. ;)

No, open it up and see whats wrong. Try and if it is above your skill set, I'm sure someone here (myself included) would love to get a nice new-to-them tuner. Good luck regardless!

N3WVB likes this.
  2. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have searched you tube and found the videos shown above
    These are my exact problems on the Tuner
    With the help of these videos and KF5SKP I am attempting to fix myself
    New parts needed will come from MFJ
    Here's hoping I will get it up and running once again :)

On The Tuner's Past Performance
    Amazing . I have a 530 ' Foot Loop @ 75 feet height
    It is constructed of #10 Stranded Wire with UV Protected Insulation
    The Tuner Tunes Flat From 160m - 17 meters and everything in between
    When I say everything I mean everything
    MARS

KA9JLM, WZ7U and N2SUB like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, I've never worked Mars.

But I keep listening...I think I heard Venus, once.:)

Good for you, repairing it yourself. It's worth it.

K8AI, WZ7U and N3WVB like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, c'mon Steve. Working Mars is easy. Heck, I can do it on 2 meter simplex. Quite a few hams live there, most are active in the Butler County clubs.

Not quite as easy as working Moon. 15108 zip code includes both Moon and Coraopolis, so you can't always go by the zip... :rolleyes:

And seriously, I'm glad to hear the problem is easily fixed.

N3WVB likes this.
  6. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Repair it! They're not that complicated. I have a 989C and it works great.

IMG_0226.JPG

7. KS9Q

KS9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ is usually readily available on the phone during normal business hours. You can easily order parts for their products as a general rule. I have found that for products that have a long production life (the AL-811 comes to mind) the latest version of the manual/schematic may not resemble what you actually have if your unit is older. Ask me how I know that. I do wish that their documentation covered all versions of a given item. Having said that, they are pretty good about supporting even the older stuff with parts. The shipping as a bit rich if you are ordering light parts that can fit in a small envelope. It may take more than one phone call to get your order moving. At the end of the day, they have always come through.

Tuners are pretty simple animals and there isn't all that much to go wrong. With MFJ it usually boils down to a) loose hardware, b) bad solder or c) arc/flash damage. The variable coils which have the roller moving within a stationary coil can sometimes need attention as well.

Jim K - KS9Q

8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at it as a learning experience.

Q: What is its condition now?
    A: Not working.

Q: If you attempt repair, what are the possible outcomes?
    A: 1) you are able to effect repair, you have a working transmatch and possibly have learned something.
    2) You cannot effect repair and must replace the transmatch or send it to MFJ for repair.

If 1) is true, you are ahead of the game. If 2) is true, you are no worse off had you never attempted repair, and still will have learned something.

I have used this logic often and discovered that most times, I have the ability to repair things which others have thought were not worth repairing. From door locks to replacing bent valves in an interference engine which suffered a broken timing belt at highway speed. (I put another 150,000 miles on that car after the valve-job and a new timing belt every 50,000 miles.)

N3WVB and WZ7U like this.
  9. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a ROVER on Mars, but it didn't count because the ROVER was using a repeater on HiRise. :p

10. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Repair it, if the economics dictate. I don't have a 989 but do have a 986 which is the only MFJ piece I own, and it's been a flawless performer for lots of years.

N3WVB likes this.