Renewal Exam and MSK signal

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8LXP, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD8LXP

KD8LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a liscense that is going to expire soon if it hasn't already. Where would everbody suggest taking the test in Michigan?

Second Question: Garmin makes a dog tracking collar(T5) that transmits its location back to a handheld. The transmission is on one of 5 frequencies around 151-154mHz. I have read that this transmission is MSK. Is it legal and possible to receive that signal and attempt deciphering it? If those answers are yes how may I attempt to start working on this? Will the newer digital 2m mobiles help with this at all?

Thank you in advance. Torey

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your license expires on the 18th. You can renew online for free. No need to retake the test or pay anybody.
    Buy the proper handheld for your dog system.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

As KP4SX posted, your license has not yet expired.

Renew on line --free of charge-- using the Universal Licensing System (ULS) here:

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

If you don't renew by the August 18th expiration date, you cannot operate but you can still renew without re-testing anytime within the 2-year renewal Grace Period.

;)

KE0TNL likes this.
  4. KD8LXP

KP4SX and KS2G,

Thank you I will get renewed when I get a chance.

KP4SX,

The goal is not to cut out the handheld. That would not even be possible because the handheld has to TX to the collars for things like changing the update rate, turning on/off leds, and changing channels. I actually already have two handhelds one is semi permanent in the vehicle with a through roof NMO 5/8 wave antenna and the other is used as a handheld when walking into the woods.

My goal is to receive that signal so that I can map the collar position on third party software(QGIS running on an Ubuntu laptop in the vehicle). Garmin offers their own software but does not provide for the addition of map layers and the software is not available on linux.

Torey

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're on your own there. Maybe a Garmin/Dog/Linux forum can help you.

6. KD8LXP

Well let me ask this. Is there a way to receive a msk signal given the pertinent parameters with any combination of software/hardware? Surely, the msk signal portion of the conversation can be answered here, right?

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

An MSK signal over an FM radio is just a frequency shifted digital signal. Usually one frequency represents a "one" and another represents a "zero". All you have to do is decode that signal into a data stream, and figure out what it means. It could be a direct binary output, or some form of ASCII transmission, or some other transmission format. Without knowing the specifics, you would have to reverse engineer the data to see what was being sent.

8. KD8LXP

When I first started researching this about 6 months ago, I seem to remember that MSK is a special case of FSK. Which if I am understanding correctly, that is what you just said in your first sentence. As for the decoding, I figured I would be on my own for that.

How would I start going about even hearing the signal? I think I may have concluded an analog transceiver like my Yeasu FT2800 could be hooked up to a sound card on a laptop running software like Fldigi. Is this correct?

Are there newer digital mobile transceivers that can handle some of the work and pass on only the 1s and 0s?

9. KD8LXP

Bear in mind, my knowledge base is limited. The saying goes before you can walk you have to crawl.... Well I think I am at the rolling over stage... :p

I appreciate the time everyone takes to respond.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You would have to find out the frequency, first. It will be one of the 5 MURS channels, so you could program them in your RX then TX on your handheld radio and switch your RX channel until you heard the TX. The signal should sound like a very fast tone shift, with the two tones being somewhere from 1000Hz to 2400Hz, more than likely. You could feed the RX audio into a computer sound card, and get some free FSK decoding software to do the tone to data stream decoding. After that, it is a matter to determine what the data stream actually means, since the coding could be anything.