Remote operations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0BLR, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there everyone,

Got a couple of questions with regards to the 9700, and the 7610. What to ask is about remote operations. I know Remote hams is out there and so is HRD will HRD support multiple users signing onto the radio like rcforbes? What does everyone suggest?

take care & 73,

Ben K0BLR

2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using RemoteHams for quite some time now with good success.

3. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

My buddy has to but can you do the digital modes on rcforbes or are you relegated to just phone?

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot depends on your chosen mode of operation... If you are a user of the WSJT-X family of modes - FT8, FT4, JS8 etc. etc. then your options are limited because timing is so critical to successful operation and the network connection will inevitably introduce some unpredictable latencies into the circuit. I did briefly try operating with the Win4ICOM server running on the shack PC and Win4ICOM client on my laptop feeding audio into WSJT-X also running on my laptop - the result was close to unusable! To work well, FT8 requires timing errors no greater than a couple of seconds and constant - the latency round the remote path were variable and often more than two seconds... I did try it with some of the less timing critical modes like PSK31 and RTTY, but the results were still not good. Telephony was just about OK - most of the time...

The best solution is one of the remote desktop solutions - VNC, TeamViewer or AnyDesk - and keep the operation on your shack PC. This makes the timing errors unimportant from the protocol point of view, though they can still be a problem operationally. Modes like FT8 only give you a short window between the other station finishing their transmission and you starting your reply - obviously this does not matter once the QSO is established because the autosequencing takes over, but it can be a problem when replying to a CQ from another station.

Martin (G8FXC)

KC3PBI likes this.