Remote operating hf from our rv

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KM5GJ, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM5GJ

KM5GJ QRZ Lifetime Member #78 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For local operation while set up camping or in a RV park we use a Kenwood TS-2000 with a screwdriver HF antenna and a dual band VHF/UHF mounted on the rear ladder. Compromised antennas at best for RV operations. :p But wait! I have found a much better way of operating. At home I have a Ten-Tec OMNI VII as my backup radio. It is directly connected, plug and play to the internet using a Cat6 cable from the back of the radio to the internet router. No extra equipment to purchase and it took less than an hour to set up the radio, router and laptop. The Ten-Tec One Plug manual is very well written, easy to understand and on line for easy reference. When we are camping all I have to do is turn on the laptop and the Wi-Fi hot spot then click on the Ten-Tec One Plug icon. We're on the air just like being in my ham shack with the benefit of my tower and resonate dipole antennas for 160-80-40 meters. By the way I use a automatic coax to station antenna switch made by Top-Ten Devices to automatically put the correct antenna on the correct radio every time. :mad:It would be very disappointing to get 500 miles down the road and find out I had forgot to set up the antenna correctly.

2. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are a county hunter, WASzoo or even DXCC wannabe, you can work yourself. Get your home rig set up, turn on the rig in the RV and work yourself, in every county and state your RV touches! Be sure and put yourself in the log!

I had this idea when a big gun operator from San Diego worked a big gun operator from New Jersey while seated across the beer table from each other at Dayton, fiddling with their remotes.

There could be a new award, Worked All Yourself, kind of like selfies for ham operators, I guess. You don't have to bother with pile ups, QSLs are guaranteed and the cost will be maybe less than the old fashioned way. You travel to foreign lands, set up there, work yourself and go on to the next needed country. Pretty soon you are on top of the Honor Roll! I'm not sure the ARRL is on board yet. Someone said ARRL staff have been seen wearing buttons saying "No WAY!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.