Remote in Kabul

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KB1PVV, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

3B7C was working up 30 one time on CW!

2. KI4PRK

KI4PRK Ham Member QRZ Page

I know. Have you heard the hams complaing about it online?

Neither am I. 1 1/2 years, 192 countries. 181 CW.

Just because they did it doesn't make it right. I know if your split is too small, you will QRM yourself. But, if it's too big it makes it devilishly hard to find the listening frequency, and it causes needless QRM. Between 1 and 5 will suffice on CW, and between 5 and 15 works just fine on SSB.

While I'm not OH2BH, I'm no inexperienced DX operator. Hope you don't take this as an angry response, just a different opinion shared by many other operators — not only DXers too. 73, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13 :cool:

3. K0DXC

what happened to only work up 1 for CW and only up 5 for phone. There are all kinds of opinions, the caller can decide what he wants to split, if the ops want to work him bad nough then they will find the patience to deal with the qrm. let the caller decide what HE wants to do, the 3B7C ops are some of the best, they had huge pileups because the callee's found ways around qrm, there was no qrm in that case because the entry is so rare that everyone was trying to work it

no pun intended

[callsign] K0DXC [/callsign]

4. K0DXC

and I did end up breaking the pileup for that one on 30 meters, one of the great WARC bands

5. KI4PRK

You mention that the operators will find a way to deal with the QRM, but it's not the callers in the pileup that I'm talking about. It's other DXers/ragchewers/QRP operators etc. that may want to use that area. When VU7RG came on, they worked CW up 1 — massive pileup, couldn't hear it on frequency. I will concede that some hams may not have the advantage of a four to six hundred hertz filter that yours truly is blessed with, but most do and this can be overcome anyway by tuning slightly down the band.

N8S also achieved good results with a 1 kHz split, and YW0DX went to the epitomy of good operating and were working 3–4 kHz splits on SSB without QRM on the main frequency.

73, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13

BTW, I posted an article on eHam.net about a kids contest. It hasn't been accepted yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer. :)

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

KB1PW,

I will look for you this Saturday on 20 meters. I visited Kabul in 1967. Your bombed out building picture reminded me of the architectural style of one of the Russian compound buildings.

Frank

7. KD7DCR

KD7DCR Ham Member QRZ Page

RON:

What is this about 150M towers going up soon??? Watch that Russian Iron, it has been known to fail!

Is some SERBA CURTAIN in your future over there??? Or, just a 4 mile LONG WIRE??

Hope you got my mail.

Stay safe!

Regards, 73,
    de Mel

8. K0DXC

yes, I do love my filters :) just wait until I get my K3, :p a dream come true :)

but anyways when you tune down off frequency you would lose the signal of the dx station if he is weak enough, most of the time when dx ops work high split they listen first between the frequencies as to clear up the problem of qrm. If ops go thereto call cq after the dx op works his high split it's not his fault if his pileup QRM's some people

9. KI4PRK

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that subject then :) Great stuff on the K3, that'll be awesome. I still love the FT-890, and most older rigs. Ever heard that one guy, Eric's, signature? "If it don't glow, it ain't radio"! I love the look and smell of hot tubes, and reaching up and twisting knobs is my way to operate. Not only that, if you dropped a TS-830 5 feet, it'll rattle but still go fine. Do that with a 7800, and it might not operate the same. But seriously, modern rigs do have a lot of advantages.

Sorry if I did anything wrong on the other forum. Didn't mean to hurt anybody, or suck up to anybody.

73, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13

10. KB1PVV

KB1PVV Ham Member QRZ Page

To Split or not to Split and other thoughts

I will try different methods and see what works, I worked a pile last night on 40m and had no time to adjust, went simplex and was fine until the pile got unruly and they generated there own QRM. Was lots of fun. Will be on again tonight on lower end of 40.
    Have been working 20m during the day today, some go contacts into New Zealand, Argentina and Japan. Hear a couple of NA stations but could not get a response.

As to the towers, I know about the steel, it already has some broken cross braces. But they did it right, from the 1st platform up about 60 feet they have a rope and puley system installed. So we do not need to go to the top. My friend and I are trying to work out the design for the dipoles, even at 160m we have enough length to go 2 wavelengths, so we are thinking parallel wires for 160 through 20 meters if we can figure out how to rig and space the wire. Otherwise we will work out a trap dipole system to work it, and then load the towers themselves for 40 meters vertical as they are isolated from ground, just need to get the guys to bury the radials for me.

So I have been up alot, but mostly is mid day for NA so I am listening for you guys.

Regards
    Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.