Remote in Kabul

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KB1PVV, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1PVV

KB1PVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got my shack setup here in Kabul I work for the largest mobile operator here and needed to get on the air. The dipole for 40m and 20m is up and running. Will be on the air from0630 UTC unitl 1800 UTC on 20m near 14.225, if that is quiet I will also try 40m lower SSB range between the SW Commercial traffic.

I am out of practice, just got my General this week and have been out of this since the early 70's so be patient with me and any advice is always welcome.

Ron
    you can check out picture of Kubal and my office at

2. KI4BNC

KI4BNC Ham Member QRZ Page

link don't work for me.

3. KB1PVV

4. KI4PRK

KI4PRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, great that you have a chance to operate from a rare entity. Stay safe! I need Afghanistan for a new one, I will listen for you at the above times. Will you be active on CW?
    Advice: When beginning, don't run the pileups on SSB too long. When I did this from 4U1WRC (another rare entity), I found that unless you're very experienced they quickly get out of control.

73, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13

5. k0dxc

k0dxc Guest

Yes,

You will have a lot of a better chance working farther paths on CW, I suggest you try it out

I also suggest you work split, up 5 or up 10

6. KB1PVV

What is working

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the advice. Have found over the past few nights the best window has been on 40M. Freq has been 7054.0 range which in the USA is CW only but for other regions is also voice. Have worked contacts into Europe and Russia no problem. Have not heard NA as of yet. 80M also seems open on CW, need to get the MAC interfaced in ASAP, working on that, still do not have the decoding working as well as it should for most signals. And my own cw is still very rusty.

I will be on from 1300 to 1800 UTC today, will work 40m lower freq range on SSB, will try split, up 5 and see if I can manage that. Will try in the USA ssb range but over here there is a ton of commercial stations in the range, I will need to work the breaks between major freq points. Will also try 80m in the CW range later in the time period if I get the computer working well.

I look forward to getting the experience and just hope the the QSO's will forgive my inexperience as I work through the pile.

Look forward to working you both.
    Regards
    Ron

7. k0dxc

k0dxc Guest

For SSB split try up 10 or 20, the carriers are wider and it would cause you some serious QRM. for CW up 5 will work fine if you have a filter.

DXC

8. KB1PVV

Thankx

I will heed that 10 or 20 up. Makes sense. Have been on for the past 2 hours, was able to work EU on 40m both voice, and one simple cw contact, still working the kinks out of the laptop. Just need to relearn to send real cw again. Heard on faint W2 come through, could not work him though. Will be on for about 4 more hours on lower 40, 80 is very quiet still

9. KI4PRK

KI4PRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't split up more than 15. Calvin, just so you know Hans, PB2T was operating up 17 one day at 4U1WRC and he went to check momentarily for QRM on his xmitting frequency and there were a couple of hams swearing away, telling him off for a high split.
    What happens is that you leave a trail of calling hams between the "standard" split for the mode you're operating (up 1 for CW, 2 for RTTY, or 5 for SSB) up through the maximum split.
    If you like, KB1PVV, I can sked you for some QRS CW to help you learn it. I heard you operating SSB on 40 one night, BTW. Couldn't work you because of the frequency. You're doing a very nice job of handling the callers.

10. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

split whatever you want. If you split to short on phone the stations calling you will end up qrming YOU. I am no inexperienced dxer.

[callsign] K0DXC [/callsign]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.