Remote Head Mounting / Concealment

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K3SSB, Mar 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Cover it with a paper beer bag.

2. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

WD5IKX-mobile install-01.JPG I cover my IC706 head with a small wash rag mainly to keep the Texas sun off of it and the main unit is under the back seat out of sight. If I park in an area where I am concerned about possible theft I pop the head off the mount and stick it in the console along with my GPS unit and leave the rag wadded up and casually covering the head mount. I also remove the coil and upper whip of my HF antenna and the VHF/UHF antenna and put them it in the back of the truck.

One of the best ways to avoid theft is to not call attention to your vehicle. Crooks are looking for easy grab and go stuff that is easy to fence. If they look in your window and see your GPS, cellphone, change, CDs, expensive sunglasses, wallet or purse and anything else of value you can bet your car will be the one they choose.

Just in case I program the address of the police station as my home address....It is only a block from my house and if someone does steal my GPS they will be in for a surprise when the show up at my "home" to rip me off. (^8

K0PIR, K7WFM and KV4PD like this.
  3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I once had thieves steal the body of a radio and leave the control head behind. I still have it, but it's pretty useless. Maybe I should advertise it to someone who had theirs stolen.

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The last concealed install I did was an FM radio/8 track player in the glove box of my 1973 Chevy Vega GT!

WD5IKX likes this.
  5. KK6ILV

KK6ILV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have installed a few of those, we used to mount them under the dash on slide mounts as they were popular back in the day to deter theft.

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're going to the trouble of concealing it, I hope you also remove the antenna, which acts as a prominent advertisement that a radio is inside.

7. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Afternoon: It's been awhile, so I thought that I would show a few pictures of the final installation in my Ford Flex. The pieces and parts are as follows:

• Yaesu FTM-100DR
    • Lido Cup Holder Mount LM-801
    • Yaesu MLS-200-M10 external mobile loudspeaker
    • MEK-2 Microphone extension kit
    • Miscellaneous cable sheaths/dressings
    To all who provided ideas and constructive commentary, thank you. Your comments helped to provide the motivation to launch the install.

tnx es 73 de K3SSB

Tom G, Sr.

Attached Files:

K7WFM likes this.
  8. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice.