ad: cq2k-1

Remote Head Mounting / Concealment

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K3SSB, Mar 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Morning Group:

I just purchased a rig with a remote control head and was wondering if the usual practice is to remove/conceal the head when the vehicle is not in use / parked.

My preferred mounting location is a cup holder mount. Which at first thought, seems pretty exposed. Does it make sense to repeatedly remove the control head... with all the mechanical wear and tear involved or simply drape the head to conceal it?.

Any constructive feedback welcomed.

tnx es 73 de K3SSB

Tom G, Sr.

2. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am contemplating something similar. Not for security reasons, but purely aesthetics. I have a TM-V71A on order, and I am hoping I can mount the head in the overhead console area of my truck (1999 Suburban) in the garage door opener pocket. I don't have a garage door, so it is unused real estate.

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That sounds like a good place to mount it. I would just keep a big towel in the car folded up and put it over the middle console rather than remove it each time.

Here is also a nice mount.
    help1.png

4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a home brew drink holder mount(old soup can and ram mounts) I disconnect the easily separated ram ball on the can end and place the head unit and ram extender into the glove box or under the seat if I didn't want to unplug the remote cable(which IMHO is at a poorly designed location on the FT857.)

rammount.jpg

K0PIR likes this.
  5. K3SSB

Hi N9NAY:

I'm not sure of the dimensions on your Kenwood. Assuming that it's about the same size as my Yaesu FTM-100DR, it should fit into the sunglass compartment nicely. Take a look at this YouTube video showing the concept in action:

GL

K3SSB

N9NAY likes this.
  6. K3SSB

N6QIC

"I would just keep a big towel in the car folded up and put it over the middle console rather than remove it each time".

Thanks for the reply... the more I think about "Removing -VS- Concealing", I'm coming to the conclusion that concealing is the way to go.

TNX Lisa de K3SSB

K0PIR and WD5IKX like this.
  7. K3SSB

TNX FER the feedback... it's much appreciated.

tnx es 73 de K3SSB

K7WFM and N6QIC like this.
  8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried on of the seat bolt mounts pictured above and discovered I didn't like having to look down at the radio. My control head is mounted on the top of the dash and I usually remove it when I park the vehicle. Now that I have an FTM-400, it is even less obvious because all that remains behind are the suction cup plates for the radio and my Garmin GPS.

9. K8TOW

K8TOW Ham Member QRZ Page

i am moving mine from one toyota camry to another and since the new one has a sunroof, i was going to mount the icom 5100 along the front edge of the sunroof so i don't have to look down and just have the mic come between the seats.the new camry has the battery in the front,(non-hybrid) so i am running the 2 conductor wire down from the battery along the brake lines ,up thru one of the body rubber grommets in the rear.i install trailer hitches and thats how we run some of our battery wire trailer connectors .watch this from 3:50 to see what I'm talking about.this is just one way, not the only way .i cut a 1X6 inch wide board and mounted the body of the radio along the top deck between the 2 speakers, that way nothing gets dropped on it or spilled on it in the trunk and has plenty of cool air around it.the antenna is mounted in the center and i don't have to have a bunch of coax laying in the trunk.pictures to follow this week

10. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the OP's concern about displaying the control head, but I have to ask, "Why would someone knowingly steal only part of a working radio?" Key word being 'knowingly', but I can't help but wonder if thieves are stupid enough to waste their efforts on something that will yield them no return in the end. Without the chassis, it's a worthless item. Sure, I suppose eBay listings would be one way to dispose of such things, but people that break into cars hardly seem the type to have an eBay account for the purpose of offing their ill-gotten 'gains'. The old saying, "the best place to hide something is out in the open" might be up for consideration. Just a thought.

Chad KV4PD