Remote Head / Body Installation

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AD5MD, Jul 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AD5MD

AD5MD Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for ideas/suggestions /tips how to and where you have your tcvr body & remote head mounted on a Toyota Highlander. Thanks

de Ernie, AD5MD

2. KE5PPH

KE5PPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you search through K0BG website?

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It would help if we knew the year and trim level, and whether you're into holes?

4. AD5MD

2016 XLT.....prefer not to drill holes. The power cord will definitely go through the firewall rubber groumet. Mainly need info on remote head and body (most likely unlike under the seat or at the back compartment area) placement. What do y'all use to mount the head and where did you put it? I plan to remove it when parked so as not to attract attention and specially during the killer TX summer heat

5. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

You better plan on drilling a few holes because any mounting that is adhesive based will fail in said brutal Texas summer HEAT. I drilled 4 very small holes to mount the control head in my Ram 1500 and I drape a small white rag over the control head most of the time but I can remove it and lock it in the console if I am worried about theft. Glue=Goo in Texas summer heat.

John WD5IKX WD5IKX-mobile install-01.JPG

6. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure about the Highlander, tho I DO drive them quite often as a Dealer Trader for a Toyota Dealership. I was wondering the same thing about re-installing my IC-706 MKIIG in my new-er S10 crew cab. Being it has a console, finding a place to put the body of the radio was a bit of a puzzle. I studied the problem, not wanting to put it under the seat, etc, and, while I was looking at the problem, an idea come to me. Hmmmmm...I wonder if it would fit inside the console under the little tray that sits just under the lid. So I took the body and set it down inside the console, removing that little tray. Thinking it surely wouldn't fit there, I cautiously set it down and replaced the lid and tray. Guess what! By placing the radio on its side, I could replace the tray, and close the lid. There was room to install a squirrel- cage fan and pull the antenna cables in along with the control cable! HOT DANG!

I don't remember the configuration of the Highlander's console off hand, but it might fit in there well hidden from prying eyes. The control head should fit well under/on the dash. Ya never know!;)

7. KN4CQB

KN4CQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Yeasu 8900 with remote head. Radio is under the passenger seat. The key to my installation is a RAM mount flexible arm that mounts to the seat bolt on the floor. Great way to go and very happy with it.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-316-1-238U

8. AD5MD

Thank you for the replies guys....weighed all the suggestions but looks like this will be the best one that will fit my needs. The head will be on the dash opening and the body will sit under the passenger seat, just have to look for a spot where to put an external speaker.

http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/8254956/10149996.htm

On another note, any idea if the cigarette lighter outlet at the compartment will handle the 50w output of the tcvr? I know it is a lot better if I will hook up the pwr leads directly to the battery but if the cig outlet will suffice, less work, hi.

9. KE5PPH

KE5PPH Ham Member QRZ Page

not a good idea.

10. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Although it seems convenient to detach one's head from his/her body, there could be repercussions -- of some consequence...