ad: SDRKits-1

Remote Control Rig for RV'ing.

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by WA1DF, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA1DF

WA1DF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am preparing to outfit our truck camper for an HF rig for on the road. After a lot of financial sole searching, it dawned on me to look into having my home ham shack be a remote controlled HF rig.
    I am looking for more ideas in this area but here is my initial idea, what do you think?
    The HF rig is an Icom 706 with tuner. The rig can be remotely controlled with a combination of the Rig Blaster Plus II and the Ham Radio Deluxe software. This combination would allow me to place an APP on my tablet device that would use a simulated radio front end. Now all I have to do to operate the home station, is to get onto a WiFi connection anywhere and connect to my rig at home and then start operating.

My only concern would be to be able to remotely disconnect the rig from a distance, but there are home control power devices that could kill power to the rig and reset the station. The rules and regs allow this, (Remotely operated repeaters are everywhere)

As for VHF operation there is always the Echolink connection as well, I have used that on the road already.

Any comments or ideas are welcome, 73's
    Don WA1DF

2. KJ6RGX

KJ6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently setup my station for remote operation. My intent is to allow me to conduct demonstrations at our club meetings without the need to take my radio and antenna. Since my radio is a Kenwood TS590, I used the freely available software tools from Kenwood. My setup uses ARVP-10 to route USB audio from the radio to the remote laptop. ARHP is used on the local laptop (connected to the radio) to allow a KNS (Kenwood Network Service) from the remote laptop using ARCP-590 to control the radio. My main interest is digital modes JT65 and JT9, and using VOX to key the radio work ok. I have not setup or tried phone and PTT signals with my setup.

I run barefoot so I do not know how to integrate an amplifier into the mix. I also cannot tune my antenna remotely, so I have to use my resonant dipole instead of my mag loop antenna. I wanted to mention these in case they do play a part in your setup.

KJ6RGX
    Dan

3. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.