Remote Base IC 718 Locking Up

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by K2HNL, Nov 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K2HNL

K2HNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am trying to get information for a local repeater owner who has been having issues with his IC 718 which is the remote base on his repeater.

The issue started a couple months ago, and has now happened four times in total.

The radio locks up and becomes unresponsive and requires someone to go to the repeater site to power the radio off and back on. The power supply has been swapped out, and it has also been ran on batteries.

Today the 718 locked up, and a few hours later it seemed to unlock itself and began functioning normally again.

I saw have seen one or two other instances of IC 718's locking up, but the symptoms were not exactly the same. In at least one of the cases it was failed diodes that were later replaced by Icom. I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on it.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you using for Remote Radio Control ?

3. K2HNL

K2HNL Ham Member QRZ Page

NHRC-10.

Radio had to be unplugged to restart.

Any thoughts that power surges could be the cause?

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Power surges could be a problem, But your battery test rules that out don't it ?

Was the NHRC-10 on battery too ?

You could put it on a UPS to see if power surges could be the cause.

Many people use a timer to restart the system a midnight. If something goes wrong it can be back online within hours.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017