Remote alternative site - solar PV or small generator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MW1CFN, Feb 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Laptop 12 volt power supplies are all over eBay as well as generic DC-DC converters. I am not sure how you pick a low-RFI one, but at least they are cheap. A smallish true-sine inverter might go well with your plan.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The converters that were sold by the major notebook computer companies, or major name brand aftermarket suppliers, are likely to be reasonably RFI quiet because they were designed properly to pass the EMC testing. Stay away from cheap no-name stuff which likely doesn't pass EMC or even basic safety testing.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

This runs all day and the solar panel doesn't make a sound..

IMAG0734.jpg

Like another person said earlier, don't skimp on a solar controller.

A Genasun controller is one of the few on the market made to be RF quiet specifically FOR amateur radio operators.

Also one of the rare controllers you will see on the market with FCC approval too.

...So that's why I have one. You should too. :)

IMAG0738.jpg

MPPT controllers also put more juice in the battery especially during marginal and low light conditions. Read how they autotrack to ramp up the charge delivering up to 40% more power into your battery here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/07/21/which-solar-charge-controller-pwm-or-mppt/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    MW1CFN likes this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you be leaving the power equipment onsite?

The more important report equipment question is - how easy is it to steal? CAn some yahoo use it as a target?

Good luck, hope you have a lot of fun out there.

5. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would go with the solar panels, along with a charge controller and couple of deep cycle marine batteries it would be less expensive in the long run and more reliable than a generator. One question is, do you get enough sunlight in Wales for them to work well? Solar cells will work to some extent even on cloudy days but the output is diminished. I assume you only plan on operating from this location on sunny days.