ad: Radclub22-1

Remembering KE4FSC, Don Sams

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KY5U, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I was told last night that an Amateur friend of mine passed away last week. He was Murray Don Sams, KE4FSC of Centruy Florida. He died of complications from cancer while living at a nursing home in Century.

Don was an interesting character to say the least. We spent many an hour on the 145.210 (WA4SRW) repeater in the last 4 years up until about 6 months ago bending the rules of decency (but not breaking) in descriptions of the escapades of our youth. As I, Don had worked in the Louisiana "oil patch" years ago and we had covered much the same ground. Don was an accomplishe welder who worked for some time as an inspector for the nuclear power industry on reactor core welds.

Don and I along with Marvin (KV4ES) had a standing "date" every Sunday during race season to meet on the 145.210 repeater and chat during the NASCAR races. We'd comment about the race, the drivers, and the general "goings on" of the race.

Before getting my license, I had scouted local Pensacola repeaters to hear what was going on, and heard regular traffic on the 210 repeater between Don and Conrad (WA4SRW) concerning their "dates". Both guys were single and over 70, so the escapades were something to behold. Don used to boast about his many girlfriends, one of which was "the laundry lady". The hapless young woman worked at a laundry in Century where Don took his clothes to be cleaned.

When I got my ticket, my first call on 2m was to Don and Conrad. I asked him if he was Don Sams, and he asked me how I knew. I told him (jokingly) that I was in the Century Laundry and a lady there heard I was a HAM so she told me that she was getting married to a HAM named Don Sams. I congratulated him on him ipcoming marriage. Needless to say he studdered and sputtered trying to tell me he was NOT getting married! ROFL!

During the course of his work, Don had to remove asbestos from ships. He contracted mesotheoloma in the mid 90s which ultimately caused his death. He survived by one son in Culman, Alabama and several ex-wives including an unnamed (here) fairly well known country singer.

I have to honestly say, it was a pleasure to know him for the short time we were friends. Besides the activity on the air, I'll miss the lunches we had at the Panhandle Restraunt together as I watched him terrorize the young waitresses. I'll miss the wonderful twinkle he got in his eyes just before he was about to say something really funny (usually off color). I'll miss my table co-renter at the Milton Hamfest.

He was, down deep, a decent guy with a flair for fun. He will be missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.