Remap key for Lambda

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K9WW, Nov 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Mac Genius Folks,

I would like to remap my keyboard for the Greek letter lambda (λ) without having to either write the word lambda, wavelength, wl or as I just did above, switch to the Greek keyboard layout and type the L key and then switch back to English. The above methods are cumbersome and I would rather just press option + L to get the Lambda symbol. I searched online but have not found anything that did not involve writing scripts or other schemes with which I am unfamiliar. The current combination of option + L is (¬) something I cannot imagine ever using. I checked with my local Mac store and they just shrugged. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks and 73!

Kirk K9WW

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it can be done "live" like on the zed here...but in MS Word (or LibreOffice), there is an INSERT special character function, and you can find just about every western character on the planet. You and then map it to a hot key.

3. N1FKO

N1FKO Ham Member QRZ Page

System Preferences should do it, but you get Λ instead of λ for a replacement character.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  4. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Found it! I chose System Preferences then Language And Region (flag icon) in which I had Greek chosen as my secondary language then clicked Keyboard Preferences tab at the bottom of the pane and activated the checkbox entitled "Use the Caps Lock key switch to and from US". Now as I am typing, I can simply tap (not hold) the Caps Lock, tap the L key then tap the Caps Lock key again to return to English. Thanks for the help. I should have mentioned at the outset that I'm using a Mac Mini with Big Sur. 73 all.

Kirk K9WW

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey that's neat....was wondering if you had to sacrifice the English Keyboard to get the Greek one!

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys! To Eric, no. You can make English your primary language and then add Greek by clicking the + tab at the bottom of the pane and selecting Greek from the list of languages. Then you can view the keyboard layout and select whatever Greek letter you want. I have a sticky note on my monitor with the shortcuts for various symbols, for instance, shift plus option plus o gives you Ø, option plus z gives you Ω, option plus f gives you ƒ. The only one I could not find on the English keyboard layout was λ for which I had use the above shortcut.

To Richard, I did find Ukelele in my research but was hesitant about downloading it from a source other than the Apple App Store. If you have used Ukelele without problems I might give it a shot.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Very 73,

Kirk K9WW

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I just downloaded it and played with it--it works, and it didn't cause our anti-virus program to fire off a warning so you might want to give it a shot: https://software.sil.org/ukelele/ .

As you probably already know, it's always safer to download a program from the author/company that produced it than through links.

9. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Richard! I appreciate you sending the link. Yes I know that there are lots of sketchy sites offering free downloads of all kinds of apps but this looks like the Real McCoy. I'll give it a try.

73, Kirk K9WW

10. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

Without using third-party solutions, using macOS' Keyboard Viewer and Keyboard prefs "Text" tab, one can map λ (or anything) to a single key or key-combination. For example, I have the "lambda" symbol invoked by typing l/d. A small bit of a process to set up but once done it's always there.

Chuck
    WV8A