ad: TiltPlate-1

Relay Swap

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W0VRA, Aug 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

These look the same to me.

Am I missing anything?

upload_2018-8-22_10-40-5.png

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You mean they are the same besides the fact one operates on 12v and the other one operates on 30v?

3. W0VRA

Haha, yeah. In this application 12V is being used to turn 12V on and off, so that's not an issue. I'm asking about the wiring; the TX relay on sub-entry level rig is a little sticky and I realized I had the AXICOM version in a kit that I'm not going to be putting together anytime soon.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they are pretty much the same, as far as operating voltage and contact voltage/current. But if you are switching RF, the AXICOM may have better isolation specs.

VWM,

The 30 Volt listing on the second relay is contact rating.

W0VRA likes this.
  5. W0VRA

Thanks!

I should have been a little more specific in the OP. I am asking about the wiring/pinouts.

6. KC8VWM

Guess my only concern is if 12v will be enough to operate a 30v relay coil.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. May not be enough voltage to pull the relay contacts closed together, or sometimes you end up with relay chatter.

If you already have the relay, give it a whirl. It will either work or it won't.

Of course, It's always possible to construct a simple voltage doubler in the voltage supply circuit to increase the voltage going to the relay coil.

vd2.gif

7. KC8VWM

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  8. W0VRA

Well, in that case, the people who built the sub-entry level rig put the wrong relay in, because it's using 12V to switch 12V into the TX section.

And apologies for putting the wrong pic in the OP. The /009 means it uses a 9V control signal. The one in the rig that's sticking is a /012 for a 12V control signal. I should have paid more attention before posting.

upload_2018-8-22_12-1-59.png

upload_2018-8-22_12-10-5.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Umm... Unless the schematic is drawn wonky, the top one looks like a DPDT relay, but the bottom one is DPST, with two terminals shorted together on each side.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks that way to me, too.