regen tips needed please

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KB2WVO, Dec 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

ok i built the regen below... it doesnt regen. also i dont think iam gettin good coupling from antenna.
    for some reason i always have issues with the cap coupling type regens. i subed the 102 with a 310. also i did the 6 to 18mhz coil. as it sims the simplest to get something out of it..
    also he has 1/4inch between turns. iam guessing between the coils .. not per turn .. tho not sure.

is there any tricks tips on cap coupling and coils. as i have moved the tickler to the main coil and away. nothing changes.

iam doing something wrong but not sure what it is..

ty for any help on this.

ps: i read the one guys site who does spyder coils. thats out of my range for now. iam more of a pill bottle coil for now ..

Attached Files:

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

swap the leads of L3

3. KL7AJ

ALSO....there's no collector voltage on Q1... I believe the schematic is in error.

KB2WVO likes this.
  4. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I think it's a PNP common-base amp.

KB2WVO, looks like you are getting a lot of schematics from VA3IUL's site. This OM collects a lot of schematics and just posts them up with his call sign for some reason added to them. You would do well to try to find the original sources of the designs so that you can find hints about their theory of operation and construction. This looks like it come from Charles Kitchin/N1TEV:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9811qex026.pdf

Mark.

5. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

The design you have is Fig 7 in the reference I linked,

The coils construction and hookup details are there. Make sure the coils are wound in the correct sense (see figure 7).

Mark.

KB2WVO likes this.
  6. KB2WVO

it is hooked to 9V thru the 3.3k resistor on the E side no ??? but if true on no volts.. few regens ive tried from CK's info.. never work for me lol ..

wow i have that info downloaded lol . i sooo need to stop doin this at 4am lol ... guess i should slow down and keep track what the heck iam doing lol ..
    yeah i noticed that on the VA3's site... good in a way sort of a one stop shop for tons of projects. i think i got regen drunk lol .. but there soo much fun lol ..
    ill have to print out the pdf. read it that way and then i have it on bench not on laptop.. seems out of 5 so far only 1 worked lol .. that one has 3 - j310s lol works great lil rough to change bands with the resistor style inductors. but no coils to wire up lol ..
    this one in link works great. rite out of the box. guess thats the fun when they dont.. wish there was a few videos on radio electronics only.. like rf paths and ac caring rf in what ways and so on or whys nots does and donts .. ill look for a mook maybe theres one out there..

https://circuitsalad.com/2012/09/30/a-high-performance-regenerative-radio/
    ill have to try this one again at 4:30am lol ...

ty mark for info ..

7. KL7AJ

There's still no dc voltage potential between the collector and base. A common base circuit needs both an emitter and collector supply. This MIGHT work if the base is connected to ground through a resistor...but not in its current configuration.

8. KL7AJ

Here's another tip about regen receivers. A well designed regen receiver will work RELATIVELY decently even before the regeneration kicks in. Unfortunately there are a lot of regen designs that don't work AT ALL without regeneration, particularly the most recent editions. If you look at the ancient literature, regeneration was applied as icing on the cake AFTER you had a pretty decent receiver.

While it is true, in theory, that positive feedback covers a multitude of sins, in practice it isn't that straightforward. Build the highest Q coils and tanks as you possibly can....it's amazing the difference it makes in performance.
    Eric

KB2WVO likes this.
  9. KB2WVO

ya my coil skillz suck lol .. tho there simple. for some reason they never work. lol but ill keep at it..
    i figure if i can get something out of breadboarded should go on a perfboard...
    i goin to try again on the tube end. only have 1 or 2 12xx7s. not a AT tho i think they look better suited not sure tho..