Reduce output below 5W with FT991

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by DJ7ZZ, Sep 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. DJ7ZZ

DJ7ZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everybody,
    i´m running a Transverter and want to reduce the 144MHz output of my FT991 below 5W.
    Are there any settings that I can change in the menue?

Regards
    Thorsten

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing in the main menu. There may be something in the service menu, but you have to be very careful about tinkering around in there!

Martin (G8FXC)

3. DJ7ZZ

I´ve the Service Manual here, but I can´t find the Settings I have to set.

4. G8FXC

My guess is that it is one of the ALC or TXG settings. I remember seeing someone boasting of having been able to get the output power increased to 70W - but I don't remember which setting they were tinkering with. The same setting should equally be able to reduce the maximum output power. For heavens sake make detailed notes of all the settings before tinkering - they are specific to each radio and difficult to set without laboratory quality test gear!

Martin (G8FXC)

5. G8FXC

6. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy way - Turn the mic gain down! No input, no output.

Tom

7. DJ7ZZ

Thanks Tom for that answer. You know about the Problem of Spikes or peaks If you start transmit or have you ever worked with a Transverter?

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, turning the mike gain down is not a workable idea.

However, just adding a 3 dB or 6 dB (or whatever is needed) 5-10W resistive attenuator in the line to the transverter can work fine. Most transverters have substantial I.F. gain (generally more than needed), so losing a few dB at the baseband frequency doesn't impact receiver sensitivity at all but will cut down the transmitter power available, even on spikes.

N5HXR, WA9SVD and K0UO like this.
  9. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

That would require knowledge.

K0UO likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most good transceiver s for
    Transverters use have a low power output designed for Transverters use. Probably even separate receiver and transmitter jack's. If you're using a radio that doesn't/ then you face problems of too much power or burning up the transverter which many of us have done over the years.

So I strongly suggest that you find a different radio with Transverter outputs.

Yes there are ways to do it with attenuators but you can get yourself in trouble pretty quick.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily