ad: M2Ant-1

Red Summit RF - How I log SOTA points while you sleep

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NJ7V, Sep 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SOTA activation of Deem Hills W7A/MN-142
    Once a week, on a weekday, I get up at 4:00 am so that I can be on the top of a Summits on the Air peak by sunrise. My log is full of VHF/UHF contacts on multiple bands including many summit to summit contacts within minutes. All of this with time to return home, shower, and report to work at 7:30 am. Oh, and I also work HF too if I'm really ambitious. See how I do it in this video.

W7SKH, K6UTJ, KD2UHF and 32 others like this.
  2. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This was a GREAT video! Beautiful scenery! Great job, Charlie.

NJ7V likes this.
  3. W7JET

W7JET Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a famous ham friend :)

DWERT and NJ7V like this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. I'm an early riser and have been tempted to activate a summit at dawn as well, but have not done so because I don't think folks would be interested in getting up early. I'll be camping at a 10 point summit next weekend and will make a point to run an activation from my hammock (ie from bed).

BTW, I run most of the YT vids I watch at 1.5x, so watching you flail at the bee at 1.5x speed was amusing. :D

Chris

NJ7V likes this.
  5. N7PHI

N7PHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you get the bonus points? I've activated two summits and both said they had bonus points but when I submitted my log, I only got the base summit points.

NJ7V likes this.
  6. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonus points are aka Winter Bonus Points in EU and it seems from the video Summer Bonus Points in Phoenix, Arizona and only apply if you activate between certain dates (generally when it's harder to get to the summit). The SOTA database web pages will tell you the dates when bonus points apply for a specific summit. Usually, the dates are set at a regional or association level for all summits above a certain height.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    NJ7V and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    NJ7V likes this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun video to watch! Well done activation.

So refreshing to watch a video that is not pitching or otherwise slyly advertising gear under the guise of a "product review."

KG7HVR, K3RW, KA2FIR and 5 others like this.
  9. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a wonderful experience ! - Thank you for that video - Wish there were summits close to here - only one is my roof :) .

10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's promoting radio.

WJ4U and NJ7V like this.
  11. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think around the block is all I can do at this time. NJ7V is in great shape , I used to be. Maybe it's time to start walking , find A hill with my 2/440 and just see. hihi
    Nice Video , Thankyou.

NJ7V likes this.
  12. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wow, well done! You are very lucky. I've done several summits lately with an arrow 2m yagi and have netted only a few contacts, and I'm in the NY metro area, 2m FM is pretty much dead here.....

NJ7V likes this.
  13. VE6LAY

VE6LAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting found it very interesting. Loved the view.

NJ7V likes this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Check the top map on page 15 of this document of SOTA's: https://sotastore.blob.core.windows.net/arms/ARM-W5-Texas.pdf
    There appears to be a small handful a bit west of the DFW area.

15. W7OMH

W7OMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video! Love the US map overlay. Great views too!

AF2F and NJ7V like this.