Recover the Titanic's Marconi Equipment or No?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by WF7A, May 20, 2020.

?

Should the Titanic's Marconi Equipment Be Salvaged or Not?

1. Yes - It has historical significance

32 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. No - It's a tomb, so leave it be

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Other (Please Explain)

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A BIG THANK YOU TO WHOEVER STARTED THIS POSTING.

LOOKING AT THE PICTURE THERE ARE A LOT OF ITEMS THAT WE
    HAVE SEEN MANY TIMES...…. CLOCK,,, LOG,,, HAT,,, JACKET,,,DESK,,,HEADPHONES,,,,,LAMPS,,,,

THE ORIGINAL PHOTO SHOWS A "VOICE TUBE" THAT
    PROBABLY WENT OVER TO THE BRIDGE AREA.

CAN ANYONE TELL US WHAT THESE ITEMS ARE AND THEIR FUCTIONALITY.

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

TITANIC RADIO ROOM.jpg

HAVE A HAPPY WEEKEND
    73 - K1LKP

N4FZ likes this.
  2. KN4OTS

KN4OTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to get off the original subject... Years ago when I was growing up I lived in Fishers NY, just a few miles away. My uncle was into ham/swl/etc., etc real big. He and I visited the museum once, spending a couple of hours there. It was quite impressive seeing all the old antique radio equipment they had there.

73 to ya...

KN4OTS

PU2OZT and N4FZ like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking at the totals so far, the "retrieve the stuff" group is way ahead.

But consider this: the Titanic site and the surrounding area is actually a tomb. So, how long do we wait before grave robbing becomes archeological interest? There is no valid reason that I can see for retrieving anything from the Titanic.

This is real life, not a movie. How would you feel if someone was digging up folks from the local cemetery for "Archeological Purposes? I'm willing to bet that a whole lot of folks would have big problems with that...

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the "gravesite" argument and it's a valid one. This is not about removing human remains this is about a choice between total destruction and a chance to preserve a part of history. In this case, as it relates to communications history, my choice would be in not allowing the sea to further destroy that which could be preserved.

PU2OZT and KP4SX like this.
  5. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Discussion is all well and good but if they don't hurry, the batteries are gonna be dead...

PU2OZT and WN1MB like this.
  6. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it was vintage radio gear being retrieved from my local cemetery, I'd be okay with it. It's not like anyone is wanting to steal gold teeth, wedding bands, etc. from the dead.

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I voted Other. I simply don't care. I will never profit from it and will probably never see it. It doesn't effect my life in any way.
    Yes, it's a grave. But every person that knew someone involved is long dead as well! This is nearly 110 years old! (Of course I have no attachment to human remains. Once the "Person" is gone only memories matter.)
    Go ahead and grab it, but don't expect me to donate to its GoFundMe scam.