ad: Radclub22-1

Record numbers to take UK Foundation exam

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. EI2IXB

EI2IXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You do know this will bring in the dregs from 11 Metres, the idiots that use disgusting language on UK FM (Still going) and play music, key over each other and general bad attitudes, that said there will be a precentage that will use this as a stepping stone. But looking close to my region I am in EI but the current range of MI6/MI7's can barely string together a sentance in normal english and use text speak and a lot of them are the know it all CB morons. I sat and did my foundation course, did the 12 week intermediate course and then did the full exam after 6 months of studying everyday. These muppets will get on with large amps and such like and cause havoc. This is from personal experience and listening to the dreggs of them on 2M.

MM0JNL likes this.
  2. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'm one of those dregs that came over 10 years ago from SWL.......I dont hear a lot of bad behavior on 30m.

3. EI2IXB

30m ? Do you realise that is a band dedicated to CW and digital modes and not phone.

If you are refering to 11 metres, I would suggest you have a listen sometime and this time of year you get Sporadic E so plenty of activity.

My region which is directly on the border with MI has some amount of tribal foul mouthed idiots who carry over 11m rubbish onto 2M and 80M

And to stick to the point, this will only encourage the likes of those people to do a very basic test to polute the airwaves and stay as a foundation license holder for life and do zero to advance.

4. G5TM

G5TM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a dreg. A non-swearing on air dreg. A proud to be a ham dreg. A keen to help others dreg. Someone that avoids tarring everyone with the same brush sort of dreg. You know, the kind of dreg who gives everyone a chance. By the way, the CB/newly licenced op/ anyone who did not study for 3 years every night for 4 hours haters on here... get a life. Get some Anusol.

G7NFP, K7JEM and W9AFB like this.
  5. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you explain to me the frequencies in the 11m band that are allocated for ham radio use?

Perhaps they forgot to mention that on my licence. But as you have just told us you are using 11m there must be some allocation that l seem to have missed.

As for any bad language or behaviour on that band, l cannot comment as l never tune into 11m as l assumed that my licence would be revoked if l used 11m.

As for bad behaviour from Foundation licence holders on other frequencies. Again l have not had that experience.

6. EI2IXB

Ah did I hit a nerve have a read of what I said.

And I stand by what I said and not going to back down.

Online testing, sure just give them the license without a test as that what is basically happening.

You and others “may” have not experienced this but I can clearly assure you repeaters in MI have been shutdown in Belfast because of such behaviour.

As for the above asking what allocation is provided to amateurs on the 11m band is that your best response.

This is a step backwards for the hobby, how do you supervise a test online ? Is there resources available to do so ?

I and many others in my area no longer go on 2 meters because of this behaviour and these people have been reported multiple times to ofcom.

I won’t comment after this as I can see it is distasteful with certain people but it is my personal opinion and from what I have experienced directly in the last 2 and a half years since I came back to radio after an absence for 20 plus year due to military service.

7. G7NFP

Nope no nerve hit at my end.
    But l have never before known a ham to even admit to listening to a QSO on 11m.
    Granted some hams were on 11m before they became hams.
    Perhaps some may even have gone back. But as l said. Never heard a single ham admit to that.

As for the behaviour. We can only hope that is limited to your area.
    I don't think anyone is calling you a lier. But l wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush.

8. M7VXR

M7VXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand by what I wrote, I have several years of radio operating experience and I don't intend to get into an argument with you and I don't need you to try and lecture me. You don't seem to hold a Ham Licence or have a QRZ profile that indicate such.

9. M7VXR

M7VXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to be on CB (11 meters) from back in 1979 and I freely admit to still using CB on 11 meters ocassionally even after passing my UK Foundation licence.

10. EI2IXB

Just to clarify and not to insult people and yes I did tar everyone with the same brush, I am talking about my region and what I personally have experienced and to point out I also was on CB in the 80's before I joined the army as a teenager.

If I have insulted anyone I duly apologise

11. G7NFP

You joined the army as a teenager?
    So did l. Must admit though, the only thing that pissed me off was they wouldn't allow me to take my fav gun home with me when l left. 9mm sub machine gun. I can still recall the sensation & smell when emptying a mag on full auto.

Yes l was also on 11m before l took the ham exams. Many other hams were also there.
    Although l never once keyed up s Mike on 11m after l passed as l know they can take my licence away for that.

So l would never refer to anyone even who has been on 11m as a dreg as that makes me a dreg.
    But even on 11m l never behaved like you have described, nor did l ever talk to anyone who did.

N6ATF likes this.
  12. EI2IXB

Junior Leaders like myself ? Seems like a million years ago now and I remember the Sterling before it was phased out, really good engineering compared to what was brought in afterwards.

13. G7NFP

Yep was a Jr Private. Still remember my number. Engraved in the brain for life. Lost count of many times we stripped down & re-assembled those SLRs blindfolded.

Yes l also remember the old sterling. Can also measure in yrds ft & inches right down to thousands of an inch (my lathes are not metric). Same with weights.
    We ought to have kept it the same as USA & let Europe do their own thing. At least that wrong has finally been put right. But we won't see the full recovery in our lifetime.

14. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is outstanding! Glad they are allowing online testing.

15. G7NFP

But only the Foundation exam is available online so far in UK. (equiv to USA Tech).

But all the exams are online in USA.